Head Gaskets

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the engine out and just pulled the heads. I'm putting in ARP studs and new gaskets in preparation for a turbo. Not knowing the history of the engine I have noticed that the pistons are stamped .020" so I take it the engine has been rebuilt so I think I'm not going to bother to change the valve seals then. Is there any thing I should be watching for any advice someone may have would be appreciated.

Also on one push rod the tip has started to calapes and has damaged the rocker too. Any idea what may have caused this?

Thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
you need to check that pushrod and it's lifter for blockage, there is a restriction in the oil flow somewhere.
Valve stem seals are cheap, it would be good to replace them while everything is apart.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the engine is unknown do valve seals and springs, That pushrod may have been installed upside down, one end is copper colored.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting are correct but... Determining which one is correct is going to be tuff. All pishrods have a hardened ball that is copper colored so you know to place it up in the rocker pocket. Otherwise the lower soft ball if placed up will be ruined. Sometimes there is a small punch mark telling you which end is hardened... Sometimes not... And a used pushrod has worn off the coller color. When you removed the pushrods did you maintain which cylinder they came from and which end was up... If not then replace them just to be sure. I know its an added expense but it will pay off later on. Are you running the older rockers or the newer rockers. The old style has the aluminum brush in them and the intake and exhaust has a bridge holding them together... Use the newer 7.3 rockers... They are the best style and thats all we can buy now.

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Rockers do have the joining plate on them so I will order a new set for a 7.3. Should I replace all the push rods since I will putting new rockers on or is that just a waist of money. Sounds like I should replace the springs while I'm at it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online