Head gasket question

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah Cody, same pics as FB.

Tim, i payed $55 and some change for the same filter head that you got. filter was like $15.

when i pulled the pass head the gasket came with it kind of. it got mangles so no real analysis of that one. the drivers side gasket stuck to the head when i pulled the head, but honestly it looked pretty good. but other than a really obvious blowout, i am not totally sure what would cause issue.

my heads are questionable as well. at least two of th pre-cups on the pass head are cracked good. they are ALMOST to the fire ring.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Hmmm, makes me wonder, did anything come of the hypermax head gasket set?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
went to hardware store today to get the fittings needed for my coolant filter. left empty handed. holy crap that stuff is expensive. it is gonna almost be as much as the filter head itself.

also dropped my heads off at machine shop.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
got the new up-pipe on the turbo after i did a little "gasket matching". oil cooler came off after i remembered that i still had to do that LOL. just need to clean the block off and some other stuff, make up my return lines, and wait for heads.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
well that sucks!

I went to turn up the fuel on my IP today and it will NOT turn to increase the fuel. it will decrease the fuel, then turn a little to up the fuel and then bam it stops. so i took that as it bottomed out and backed it off 1 flat, which is where it was to begin with.

so it looks like my EGT's will be a nice, cool 800 max. with my leaking up-pipe i would have to work the truck to hit 800. when i had the pipe somewhat sealed it was about 700 max.

this a diesel care IP btw. this kinda sucks but at the same time, i'm just glad it works fine.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
got my new o-rings on the oil cooler today. what a royal PITA that was.

Yeah, Eric; I couldn't make any sense of the darn rings my first (and only) time. Was convinced that I'd gotten the wrong rings; they seemed way to huge to fit.

Once I was starting to damage the end caps, I realized it was time to drop the unit off at my friendly fleet mechanic.;Pissed

Black dawg

Reaction score
well that sucks!

I went to turn up the fuel on my IP today and it will NOT turn to increase the fuel. it will decrease the fuel, then turn a little to up the fuel and then bam it stops. so i took that as it bottomed out and backed it off 1 flat, which is where it was to begin with.

so it looks like my EGT's will be a nice, cool 800 max. with my leaking up-pipe i would have to work the truck to hit 800. when i had the pipe somewhat sealed it was about 700 max.

this a diesel care IP btw. this kinda sucks but at the same time, i'm just glad it works fine.

I dont think I would back it out a full flat, just enough that it isnt bottomed. I wonder what is wrong with that pump, you should be able to get much more egt and boost with the pump almost bottomed out.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a valve spring compressor? I'd recommend pulling the valves and checking things out before installation. I learned the hard way that what a machine shop says they do to IDI heads and what they really do can be two completely different things. When I got my heads back from the 1st machine shop, I wanted to make sure they were ready 1st. So, I pulled the valves to make sure the machine shop did take the heads down and inspect the valves, seats, and guides like they said they did. THEY DID NOT!!!:mad::backoff

So that means the heads needed more work. The old guides needed to be machined and new guides pressed in.

Anyway, the guides are all worn with about 8-10 thousands of side play with the valves in the guides. That's too much. The intake valves are coaked from oil leaking all over them for who knows how long.
You must be registered for see images

Coaking in the intake:

After cleaning:

Wear on the stems.

Pitting on the face of some of the exhaust valves:

Heath

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Heath, no i don't have the valve spring compressor. i can see "lube" on the valve stems where i presume would be valve guides. the paperwork does say valve job. i do understand what you mean though. the guy i used comes HIGHLY recomened by two different people that i trust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online