Head gasket question

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yes on the correct stud kit. the threads of the new stud mesh perfectly with the threads on the OEM bolt. better than any other fastener i have seem actually lol.

What about welding a long rod to the end of the tap? although if the weld breaks i am pulling heads anyways.....

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a similar problem with my studs when i went to install them...but i mainly only had a problem on three holes on the driver head on the bottom...with the head off the stud could thread all the way in no problem at all but i would stab the heads and i could only get a couple turns out of the trouble holes....so i started comparing bolt to stud and the main size of the shaft of the stud is much larger....and i beliveve what is happening is the stud is a lot closer to the edges of the passage of the head so it gets caught up on it...i found a drill bit that fit just a lil loose but not quite loose..enough where it still had some play...and with the heads off easily ran it thru the head and then did a rinse on the holes with brakleen and put heads back on greased the trouble holes and put studs in...still a lil bindage but went in alot easier....hope you can get this without too much issue

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and with the heads off easily ran it thru the head and then did a rinse on the holes with brakleen and put heads back

Buy a pulley tap, !/2"-13 . There about 6" long.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you had to drill out your holes in the block:eek:

haha no!!!

just pretty much cleaned up the holes that let the studs pass through the head not made them any bigger...if you take the heads back off make sure and try to thread a stud in one of them trouble holes and see how it goes hope it works for ya seems youve been having a heck of a time!!!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Dang, Eric, I lost track of this thread. Didn't realize you're still getting things back together!

Taps like these come from industrial supply houses, though I did get my ARP bottoming tap from Jegs, when I bought my ARP studs. Asking for one of these taps at either your auto supply store or hardware store will get you a really blank look. :Q

Glad others are trying to help you through this... my block holes threaded just fine, so I have no clue. Wishing you better luck on your struggle! :Thumbs Up

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ok so my dad and i got my heads off again today. started cleaning the bolt holes. holy crap. pretty tough getting all the stuff out of those holes. I am getting there though.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
ok so my dad and i got my heads off again today. started cleaning the bolt holes. holy crap. pretty tough getting all the stuff out of those holes. I am getting there though.

It wore me out doing it on the engine stand!! I can't imagine doing it in the truck. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online