Head gasket leak?

Dillonn

Reaction score
I am looking for information on head gaskets for my 6.9, I think it has a leak on the passenger side front. It's really hard to tell due to the location. It seems to be an inconsistant leak at the moment so for now I am just educating myself. Any suggestions...

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iirc, there is a head gasket thread with about 15 pages that has some decent pictures. Back of the engine, white trails from cooked anti freeze

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Head Gasket Leak

I am looking for information on head gaskets for my 6.9, I think it has a leak on the passenger side front. It's really hard to tell due to the location. It seems to be an inconsistant leak at the moment so for now I am just educating myself. Any suggestions...

I would check the oil and see if it's turning gray...but the best thing to do is use the coolant dye and light while you borrow a pump from autozone to pressurize the coolant system and radiator cap...then you can use the exhaust gas in the radiator kit to see if there is a leak in the head gasket...I hope this makes sense...just trying to help...

Yeah I was loosing coolant intermittently and could not find a leak with my eyeballs no matter how hard I tried so I was thinking head gasket...Finally I realized I needed to pump up the coolant system...When I did I found that my radiator was leaking in a place up under the shroud at the top tank seam... since it was the original 1986 radiator I replaced it...re-do on the leak down test and I was good to go...no more coolant loss...I hope your leak is something as simple as a loose clamp somewhere...

I sure didn't want to replace head gaskets unless it was absolutely needed...what a job! and costly...I think much more costly than my new Champion radiator and labor and down time...But like I said...I really hope your loss is very simple...Good Luck Man!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The front of the passenger side head has the thermostat housing gasket there. Sometimes that will leak making it look like the head gasket has failed. You need to move several items out of the way to get at the housing. Also sometimes the top radiater hose wil leak and the coolant will run down in this area making things look like a head gasket leak...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online