Has anyone used an MLS type head gasket on IDI's yet?

rwilles

Reaction score
Combustion chamber volume Fair warning: Math ahead

:dunno The math for the combustion chamber has been bugging me all day. Somebody check both the thought process and the math so we can come up with good numbers.

We are starting with a 7.3l, 444 cubic inch motor. Divide by 8 to determine starting volume for one cylinder, equals 55.5 inches^3.
-Divide volume by the compression ratio of 21.5 and the volume of the combustion chamber is 2.58 inches^3.
-Area of a circle is PiR^2. Bore diameter is 4.11 inches, Radius is 1/2 or 2.055. Area of the Bore is 2.055. *2.055*3.14156= 13.26 in^2.
-Area of the combustion chamber is 2.58 in^3 so chamber / by bore = approx thickness in inches between head and piston top. 2.58/13.26=.1945 or about 195 thousandths.
-Gasket material makes up .030-.040, so without gasket we have .1545 thickness. A gasket with a .05 thickness would increase height to .2045 and the chamber to 2.712 inches^3. Divide that number into the original volume of the cylinder 55.5/2.712=20.46 compression.
-A .075 gasket to yield a combustion chamber of 3.284 in^3. 55.5/3.284 = 16.9 compression.

:sly Room to deck the heads and still drop the combustion pressures at .075 thickness. Perfect for a .075 Garloc Helicoflex (someone else calls it Phew..., as in RnD fees really stinks up the place!) fire ring.

I think based on the Hypermax and VR designs with Carbon fiber, A carbon fiber gasket that compresses to .075 (starts at .125) if we can pair that with a .075 Garlock fire ring , the whole shebang would allow for old and new engines to get the upgrade and lower the compression. Seems like a win-win for all of us. :thumbsup:

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for what its worth .... when I was running the engine simulator on the computer. I put in all the head and gasket info I could get. Here is what I did. I measured the precup with a glow plug and injector installed. 20cc Then I measured the depression's in the top of the pistons. I got 7cc . the best I could come up with for a compressed gasket was about .062 and with the valves in the head I measured the valve pocket area. Intake was 6cc and exhaust 3cc. when I ran the numbers in the sim the piston needed to come up above deck .014 to get 21.5 to 1 when I make a .010 more room in the combustion area it lowerd the CR 1.2 points. "Like cutting the piston" If you add 1cc it drops CR .47 Thats what I found, I don't have any way to compare it to what you found cause "I aint no kinda smart fella"

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To create a short list that we can work from please indicate you interest at putting money into this by thanking Sean's 1st post.

I think this suggestion might need its own thread so that more people can see it. It will be missed easier in the middle of a thread...

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope just found it wont hold up anywaay thru the heat cycles. A local old guy I just found here used to race these, im going to his shop next week or so. stuff he was saying is AMAZING.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look forward to hearing what he says. Would you be able to post it in a thread for us all? That would be pretty cool.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The gaskets I'm talking about getting made have an Oring that is the same as a fire ring except you don't machine the block to make it work it just fits into the gasket and mashes between the head and block.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a company that will make mls for us and found the company that makes the fire ring for cometic phuzions but not sure if they will sell them to the company. If so then we will have some very nice gaskets!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be bad business practice not to sell. It would increase their output volume cus it would be the best gasket on the market for these rigs!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online