Has anyone used AC Delco GPs

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
i have been reading that they have the same demotions as the ones used in the 6.9/7.3 and will fit. I have also herd that they are self regulating so they will not swell. Might be a cheaper alternative for a reliable GP :dunno ;p

You must be registered for see images

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've heard of the AC12G glow plugs that are self regulating. never tried them though.

Do a test before trusting any claims of a "dual coil" glow plug. I tested the wellman 088 once and it swelled up something fierce so I still use berus for now.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do not swell indeed, I have a set of 8 here in a box that we left running for a few minutes on more than one occasion and they came out as easy as they went in. These same plugs now measure infinite resistance, so they may be dead, dunno, but even so they are not swollen one bit. These are the AC12G plugs.

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference in the ac12g and the ac32g? The advance auto on line calls for the 32g. Just wondering. I got to put some in the truck soon and just wanted to know. Thanks

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't tell ya man, the 12G are used in '79 Delta 88 with the 350 diesel, and are direct bolt-in for our 6.9 engines.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hmm, this is interesting. Never heard of those before... Maybe a usable alternative to the Beru ZD1A's. Since my supplier no longer wants to offer me a deal on them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's good if they don't swell, but don't discount the fact that they could still be less reliable. I'm not saying they are, but somebody has to be brave enough (or foolish enough LOL ) to want to try them. For my time and money, it's just sooooo easy to go with a tried and trusted product.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
If the 60G will fit in relation to thread count/pitch and length they will work well. The don't swell, can be ran for minutes on end, and don't break off. I have seen them melt before in high timing/fueling situations or with drippy injectors. They cost around $10 generally. I'm not sure what the 12g or 32g are, but they are not the same as the 60g. The early version of the 60g are the 9g(bad), and 11g(not as bad).

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FACT... when my "original" GP's started to go bye-bye one by one and for the better part of 15 years I've used Champion GP's. Yes they've burned out and I only replaced those with another Champion but NEVER one hint of swelling in all those years of use.
ZD9's in for a few years now...when they burn I may go back to champs don't know.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's good if they don't swell, but don't discount the fact that they could still be less reliable. I'm not saying they are, but somebody has to be brave enough (or foolish enough LOL ) to want to try them. For my time and money, it's just sooooo easy to go with a tried and trusted product.

Wasn't the 12G plugs what Michael Fowler was successfully using in his truck?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my old 6.9 was barely 2-years old, everything about the glow-plug system was shot, plugs, relay, thermostat, controller, all kinds of expensive stuff.

I don't think the internet even existed way back then, so no source of information available.

Knowing absolutely nothing about what I was doing, but probably as well learned as anyone else in my area, I just had the guy at the local parts-store order me in a set of eight plugs(ended up having to get the rest of the stuff from Ford, but at first I thought I only needed the plugs).

The plugs he got for me were A-C-Delco.

I just recently removed the eight little boxes, along with the eight old dud plugs, from my glove-box and stored them away somewhere; if I happen across them, I will check the number on the box.

Many years/miles later, those same A-C plugs were still in that engine; and, when I pulled the old 6.9 out, many is the person that told me that mine was the quickest/easiest starting Ford diesel that they had ever witnessed.

All of that other stuff was also still doing it's job.

Once I got the old engine out where it could be seen, I discovered two of the plugs had the tops completely burned off, and their wires were just dangling; they must have not been needed, cause she would fire right up with no hesitation.;Sweet

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the 12g what he use? Was it on a 7.3 motor? I just talked to my guy at the local NAPA and he said that he could get them. Just wanted to know before I placed the order. I can get them tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online