Has anyone ever thought about.....

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
It's got me thinking. What should I do with my 77 F250 2wd. I was thinking about a race truck. Built 460, C6, 9'' rear, ETC,ETC. Maybe I should make it a diesel. IDI of course, I hate cross contamination of brands, but that's just me. 6.9 or a 7.3, turbo, C6 w/ gear vendors, I forget what rear is in it. I would hate to put a body lift on a 2wd.
John

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put an IDI into a Dodge:rotflmao :confused: :dunno

Why, so you can finally beat a Dodge at the stop light with your IDIT Ford.......... What happened, you get spanked by a Dodge pulling out of school the other day:D ;Poke :popcorn

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Put an IDI into a Dodge:rotflmao :confused: :dunno

Why, so you can finally beat a Dodge at the stop light with your IDIT Ford.......... What happened, you get spanked by a Dodge pulling out of school the other day:D ;Poke :popcorn

:rotflmao No, I've never raced a dodge. I have no doubt that around the school (short little streets), that I could take on a first and second gen 12valve that was stock. I've driven a 97 Dodge with a stock 12valve, and my truck has more balls from 0-30mph (hence why I said short little streets).

It was this other guy on another website had his avatar saying something like "why do you never see a powerstroke in a Dodge?" Kinda irked me enough to ask if anyone had ever thought about doing it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"why do you never see a powerstroke in a Dodge?"

The why is prolly..... Why would they pull an engine that is common to see last 500k - 1 million miles before a rebuild and put one in that typically lasts 350k - 500k miles. The dodge trucks wear out before the engine does.

Much less moving parts to break in an Inline 6 vs a V8 too.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, Cummins motor is a much better engine I think. Plus its proven track record. I have always said if they put a Cummins in a Ford chassis that would be the only truck on the road.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I beg to differ on the longevity of the Cummins, I've seen several blow up with much less that 500K on them....And I mean blow up - vented the block and "came from together"....:rotflmao IDI's drop valves, ISB's blow up and crack cylinder bores, another common Cummins theme.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ on the longevity of the Cummins, I've seen several blow up with much less that 500K on them....And I mean blow up - vented the block and "came from together"....:rotflmao IDI's drop valves, ISB's blow up and crack cylinder bores, another common Cummins theme.

Out of curiosity. How many of those were in Medium duty trucks vs ram pickups, fleet owned with multiple drivers vs 1 owner trucks. That's a fairly small engine to be trashing around in a freightliner chassis with a lead footed company driver that doesn't care because it's not his.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've seen them both ways - company and brokers....Doesn't mean a thing. The most I've seen on one it a 2-5 ton is 500,000KM and it's usually toast at that point. Lets not forget the ISB was put in medium duty trucks before the Dodge ram ever saw one. From what I've seen they really don't last any longer than an IDI or PSD engine - still a parent bore engine intended for one life cycle. I'm not saying the IDI or PSD is better than the ISB, they are all the same.....Except for the HP potential in the ISB - it is a step above in that class thanks to the aftermarket.

87F250

Reaction score
It's got me thinking. What should I do with my 77 F250 2wd. I was thinking about a race truck. Built 460, C6, 9'' rear, ETC,ETC. Maybe I should make it a diesel. IDI of course, I hate cross contamination of brands, but that's just me. 6.9 or a 7.3, turbo, C6 w/ gear vendors, I forget what rear is in it. I would hate to put a body lift on a 2wd.
John

Oh the irony.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online