Has anyone done a WVO conversion on a 6.9?

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it smoke a lot worse with the motor oil? Do yo filter it or just dump it in straight?

I can't wait till I have the money to do the veg oil conversion. I guess once I move to New Mexico I can just burn it mixed. That will be a nice change from the high of 20 today. Artic Fox makes some really good tank and pre-IP heaters. All S.S, theres's also a veg-therm, electric line heater. I have looked into it a lot but don't have the $$$ for it yet.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run up to a 50/50 WMO mix in the Moosestang. Poor thing wouldn't start yesterday morning. Low teens had the fuel too thick to flow. I should have thinned it out, but wasn't thinking when I heard the weather report.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I wonder if reasonably well converted biodiesel eliminates this problem. Do you know?

most people running biodiesel have steel tanks unless they are newer cars that might have poly tanks. I use it for startups/purging in my 6.2 van in the stock tank as well in the summer and i have looked inside the tank and it looks fine so there should not be any problems. If anything it will clean the tank out if it is an old one so that could clog filters a little faster until all the crud is gone.

Paul

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
i dump my used engine oit in with a full tank of diesel almost.. ive never dumped in used gear oil though.. they say that you cant even burn that in your oil furnace..

Ray

I used to run my old 6.9 on 95% WMO (Waste Motor Oil) and 5% diesel fuel. Smoked like crazy and I hadn't even turned my pump up yet! I have since used motor oil, trans fluid, and gear lube. As long as its NOT Synthetic your truck will have no problem burning it. If you end up with some synthetic oil your truck will come to a screeching hault!

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run my old 6.9 on 95% WMO (Waste Motor Oil) and 5% diesel fuel. Smoked like crazy and I hadn't even turned my pump up yet! I have since used motor oil, trans fluid, and gear lube. As long as its NOT Synthetic your truck will have no problem burning it. If you end up with some synthetic oil your truck will come to a screeching hault!

Could you explain further on the problem with burning synthetic oil?

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
It wont stop your pump. What I mean by your truck coming to a hault is when the syn oil hits yer cyl's it will make your truck die. Syn oil doesnt burn, at least from what I have incountered.

My friend heats his shop with a WMO burner. Well he was giving a 55 gallon drum of mixed oil. We tapped the barrel and proceeded to fire up the burner. After a few mins it started to cool off in the shop. Couldnt figure out why. Checked the furnace and the flame had been put out. We tried and tried to relight it but no go.

Called our friend that services WMO burners and asked him what happened. He asked what we were running and he told us that if a decent amount of syn oil was present, that the burner wouldnt work. We didnt believe him, but unhooked the barrel. Hooked up the other one, that we knew had no syn oil , perged the line and the furnace fired right up! From what i gathered, the additives in the synthetic oil wont allow it to burn.

I never tried putting it in my truck, didnt want to face the problems that might occur like in the furnace.

Yall are free to try it, but I was never that brave. I am now venturing into cutting down veggie oil, and running WMO all at the same time. I will let everyone know what my findings are there, lol!

sootman73

Reaction score
how do you filter the WMO? are there any small particles that would get past the filter and mess up an injector tip? who's oil do you use? just your own or do you trust getting it from other people?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I keep hearing synthetic is bad but ran it multiple times with no issues before i knew better and never noticed a problem. i would only be dumping 2-3 gallons in at a time though........

sootman73

Reaction score
do you guys just pour it in the tank and follow it with #2? or do you mix it first to make sure it thins out? so in theory i could change my oi land then dump the used stuff straight into my tank?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A shop heater or furnace generates a flame in a manner quite different than the type of combustion that takes place in a diesel. The burn is done at atmospheric presure, in an open space, The heat and presure in a diesel cylinder will burn synthetic oil.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
do you guys just pour it in the tank and follow it with #2? or do you mix it first to make sure it thins out? so in theory i could change my oi land then dump the used stuff straight into my tank?

yep you can just dump from a oil change. i add it sometimes before i fill up or just top off the tanks after i drive on them for a while. it is all oil based so it mixes up. it not like it will just all settle at the bottom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance