has any one had there mechanical pumps leak?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Are you talking Injection pump mechanical pump, or lift pump mechanical pump? And what is leaking, oil or fuel?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
everthing oil from valve covers and fuel from the mechanical fuel pump

That's as clear as mud. :dunno IDI's have TWO mech. fuel pumps... The lift pump(on the side of the block) and the Injection pump(on top of engine)?
Where's your fuel leak at?:dunno

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck pump is located at the "back end of the motor"...are you talking in code or something ;Really

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Dude, there aint squat on the back end of these motors in terms of a pump... Except if you want to get technical, and well then some guys have air pumps back there (turbochargers), and then there is the occasional high pressure hydrolic pump that is used to motivate the rest of the drive train (an automatic transmission).
But if your lift pump is leaking (should be on the passenger front side of the block), then yes I've had a few leak. Almost all of them were INTO the crank case. Hardly have ever had one leak outwards. When Im getting a leak OUT from the lift pump its usually the thing has separated itself from the block, and all the oil is sloshing out of the gaping hole it has left.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i heard the coupler fittings do

OK friend. Obviously your a little challenged with your typing skills, or coverting thoughts to words, and that is OK. We can deal with that. It's just going to take longer to help you. What it sounds to me is, that you are getting fuel coming down the back of the engine, and this is why you think there is a fuel pump there. What usually happens in these cases, is there is a leak at the injector pump area (which is on the front top of the engine, behind the oil fill which is on the IP gear housing), and fuel is flowing onto the valley pan, which is the large metal surface under the intake manifold, and this in turn is draining thorugh the drain hole, which is built for this purpose. This causes the back of your engine to be wet with fuel. If you look closely at the valley pan you will probably see that it is very wet with fuel. If this is what is happening, you will need to locate the source of the leak at the injection pump. It will either be the pump itself, or one of the lines connected to it that is leaking. Most of the time, the mechanical lift pump down on the passenger side of the engine will leak internally, if it is going to leak at all. This would dilute your oil and cause the dipstick to read higher and higher.

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sryy newbie but something is sucking it all happened after i changed the fuel filter. something leaks back there. loses prime overnite. help i am stuck i need to drive to work and school tomorrow.i suck at typing sorry

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
May also be that, when you changed the filter, you accidentally bumped the return line near it and now the line or cap is leaking which is very common. Look at the plastic caps with the small rubber lines on each of the injectors to see if they are wet, if so you need to order a return line kit. It will have new caps, hose and o-rings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle