Hard to get at glow plugs

David Sailing

Reaction score
Whats the best way to change the back two glow plugs on the passenger side of a 1993 7.3. The turbo is in the way as well as other things. Thanks

sootman73

Reaction score
remove turbo.... yea it sucks. i was able to get the number five plug out but it wasn't easy and if you have big hands you wont be able to do it..... i had the injector line clamps off and had to move the lines around to get to it but it is possible without removing turbo. i elected to not replace the number 8 plug....

sassyrel

Reaction score
1/4 ratchet,1/4 universal,10m/m short and deep sockets, 8 inch extension--taint easy--butttttt-----------remove turbo--i think not--

GasFree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the 1/4" socket w/ universal as sassyrel says to break them loose then put a piece of tubing on them to spin them off by hand. Speeds it up some. Just think of those two as an opportunity to exercise patience.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
That last plug is a royal pain, think I spent 1.5 hours(remove and install) on that plug alone. I used needle nose pliers to unplug it and then got it somewhat loose with an open end wrench. I got a hose on the end but had to put a clamp on the hose so it would spin the plug instead of just spinning on the plug.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont have them already, get you a set of Wobble extensions. They sell them at tractor supply and work wonders. You would really be surprised at how much you might need that extra angle or something.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What turbo do you have? Ford/ATS factory turbo I'm guessing since you don't say. I was able to get #7 out with my old 088 style ATS turbo. It wasn't real easy but I used some extensions, a universal joint and the usual socket to get it started. Only time I think you'd have a real problem is if heaven forbid one of them gets stuck or breaks off.

sootman73

Reaction score
wow i would never find one plug worth 1.5 hrs worth of work. i just didn't replace it and i have no problem starting my truck at any temp.... and i dont plug it in. itd been two years and no proof that that one plug matters enough to worry about it....

Black dawg

Reaction score
I built myself a socket out of a 1/4 drive 3/8 by shortening it as much as possible and still get a good bite on the hex, and then cut the square end off of a 1/4 drive universal and shortened that en of the universal as much as possible and then welded the two together. with this socket its so easy I bet jsnap could do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger