Hard Start after Everything...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine still needs the glowplugs at 90 degrees if it's the first start of the day. Once it's warmed up I do not need the glowplugs that is true.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look at the fuel line from the filter to the injection pump. Both brass ends have a black seal in them. They dry out too. Many are nearly impossible to remove too. some burn them out. Others soak them in brake fluid and ease them out with a pick. That line is 5/16 size. Now look at the 3/8 inch lift pump line at the filter inlet. It too has the seal in it. Sometimes you can tighten them to stop leaks but mostly you just want to replace them. Every injection pump repair shop sells them.

My1500DollarTruck

Reaction score
Hello all.
I've replaced return lines, all the glow plugs, pretty much anything fuel related from filter housing back to tank, including lift pump, and it still takes at least two 5-10 second crank tries to get started...it acts like it's still losing prime somewhere but like I said, I've replaced it all. It will start right up after it's been running for a while though. Is there a check valve or something that I've missed?? Is it time to look for a new IP??
Thanks in advance!

Did you replace pickup tubes in the tanks, or just replace the fuel selector valve ? Is it isolated to to a specific tank ? Are you getting air are out of the schrader valve after crank cycles ? .. If no air from the schrader valve on the fuel filter , you may be getting a blockage at the fuel selector . Old pickup tubes break and have small pieces get caught in them . I just redid complete (tank sending units, pickup tubes, inline fuel filter pre fuel selector on both tanks, fuel selector) all new 3/8 and 5/16 lines , dura-lift pump. hope that helps

Ratat98

Reaction score
Looks like the o ring on the back of the pump was leaking. I didn't notice any diesel around it but I tightened it and it works now! Now to fix everything else on my list for this poor thing....

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, but I doubt that the list ever really gets much shorter. It never does for me.

Same here. I get one thing checked off and if something else doesn't give I remember something I forgot about instead!