Harbor Freight diesel compression test kit, useless?

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We tried this kit on a 7.3 IDI last night and the adapter doesn't get tight, the hex head top starts hitting the head. Only 150 psi generated, with all the leakage.

Has anybody managed to use this kit? I got in on a blowout sale so I'm not out much money. The doc says it works with 6.9 and 7.3 International motors.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You have to grind down the hex part on that adapter slightly so it will seal against the head. I don't know how much to grind it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've used my harbor freight one on multiple idis without any issues.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody compared readings on a HF kit versus a known quality manufacturer? I would have a hard time believing any HF tool that was supposedly "precise", but I too would like to check compression without spending a fortune. The only other manufacturing I've seen that was as poor and shoddy as Horror Freight was on a "Made in Turkey" fuel pump I ordered for an old Massey-Ferguson 265 tractor--the edge of the metal cap on the pump was so warped it looked like a record that had been left in the sun, yet it still held a seal:dunno.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what I did was take one of the glow plug fittings in the kit and cut it down to the same length as a glow plug, minus the tip. Then I chamfered the end I cut so it would get a good seal against the head. Worked fine for me.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what I did was take one of the glow plug fittings in the kit and cut it down to the same length as a glow plug, minus the tip. Then I chamfered the end I cut so it would get a good seal against the head. Worked fine for me.
This is exactly what I did as well. The threaded portion is too long, so it bottoms out before the head can seal unless you grind/cut it down.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used mine this weekend, the glow plug fitting they show to use will not fit in my glowplug hole, I think it is #17 fitting. I used the short one with the same thread and it worked fine, showing me 380 psi approximately

Black dawg

Reaction score
Has anybody compared readings on a HF kit versus a known quality manufacturer? I would have a hard time believing any HF tool that was supposedly "precise", but I too would like to check compression without spending a fortune. The only other manufacturing I've seen that was as poor and shoddy as Horror Freight was on a "Made in Turkey" fuel pump I ordered for an old Massey-Ferguson 265 tractor--the edge of the metal cap on the pump was so warped it looked like a record that had been left in the sun, yet it still held a seal:dunno.
I compared one against a snapon brand one and it was within a couple psi........Never found anything that the adapters that came with it actually fit......