Happy Thanksgiving, What spare parts should I have on Standby, IDI turbo?

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I am wondering what I should pickup for standby on my 1994 Turbo for spare parts to keep close just in case. Any help would be great.

Happy Holidays to all Oil Burners everywhere. :angel:

bigpanda16

Reaction score
Serpentine belt, tensioner, fuel filter, spare lift pump and there is more. I am sure someone else will chime in

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oil, a vacuum pump, trans fluid, power steering fluid (atf will do both), coolant, water, tire, plugs, jack. The 911 power service.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your truck is in tip top shape, you should be good for many many happy miles, however some good spares are always IMHO handy.

First before spare parts

FIRE EXTINGUISHER
FIRST AID KIT
Basic essentials for life some water a candle flashlight etc

Jumpercables...BIG ONES...
tools...all required for all basic jobs...
TYRE plug kit...I carry two! Ya TWO!

tensioner
vacuum pump
FILTERS and ATF
Lift pump
Belt
6' of fuel line JIC
GP's
Injector
Flexible injector line
couple return line caps and some line and O rings maybe Olives
fuses
bulbs
solenoid
heater hose and union
some type of stop leak for rad
seal all for fuel tanks

All fluids ATF OIL Gear oil brake fluid etc and hate to say so Crack in a Can

BONUS stuff....if going on long trips..
Starter
Alt
PS PUMP lines

That about sums up what's usually in my truck...LOTS OF TOOLS

JM2CW

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bailing wire, duct tape.

That being said I've got about 200 pounds of tools and spare parts stuffed into my tool box.
Have I ever needed to use any of them?
Only once, when my fsv took a dump and I had to splice a few fuel lines together to get home.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry a basic tool set. Small tire pump,plugs,injector caps, orings, used but good glowplugs and a spare injector.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are off road much I'd carry a front brake line. The only catastrophic urgent failer I've had in many years of hard use is a transfer case but when it was pulled it had no oil in it. Oh and ujoints, with 4x4 you can still keep going tho if one fails but they are small and cheap so I would change them out for some nice new ones and use your best old ones for spares to carry. With so many of these trucks around there is sure to be a compatible parts truck relatively close no matter where you are in the u.s. The vast majority of problems can be fixed well enough to keep going without parts if you have a good set of tools and the usual array of rigging tools (duct tape, bailing wire, jb weld ect). Even with my retarded t case mishap I drove it in 4 low 30 miles and found a good used one @ 4 o'clock on a Friday afternoon hundreds of miles from home ( made it home that night too).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I carry onboard spare parts. I have the usuall serpentine belt but I also carry a tensioner and an idler too. along with that I carry the serpentine belt pulley for the vacuum pump and the tool to press it on and off. I learned long ago when the tensioner begins bouncing its because the vac pulley has egg shaped. Then its not long before the tensioner breaks and throws a belt. I carry three belts. Two are the same size and one is a smaller belt. Running the belt over the cav pulley allows us to run a shorter belt in an emergency situation. I have spare tps back behind the seat too and 2 differant return line kits. Only once did I carry a spare injection pump because I was having issues and driving to ky for the 2009 rally. I never needed it but I had is just the same. What we keep on board is really nothing more than insurance. Having it is so nice but needing it is an extra too. Not having it and needing it leaves an mt feeling in my stomache. I think al of us carry at least one spare tire and wheel under the trucks. We never want to use it but knowing its there is a satisfying feeling.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Serp belts seem to last a long time.
Mine had been thrown off when a idler went. Couldn't find the right size belt so I picked the old one up off the highway and reused it for a year. Finally replaced it as some outer ribs were gone. It's now behind the seat jic.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I've driven my trucks around the country without even a spare tire :D

But don't worry about it. Trucks older than 94 don't break, so you don't need to carry anything.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry stuff I don't want to install on the road. Figure if you have it, you will not need it!
Last on road fix: belt, tensioner and idler. Had the belt with me, NAPA to the rescue! Nice to have common parts, isn't it? (should have read this thread first.... Must prepare better!)

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online