Guess this problem!!

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So back up to do a burn out and drive back home. When i put it in drive well i thought i put it in drive and was in second gear gunned it. After i relized it was shifting i let of throttle and noticed a sound that sound like the valve tapping cylinder so i slowed it home pulled in drive way and it stopped. So i revved it up to see if it would come back and it didnt but when i reved it and it came back down in rpms oil pressure dropped to 0 the. Picked back up. Sounds to me like i drop a cylinder. What do you guys think.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a real oil pressure gauge or just stock dash gauge?

Did you check oil level by anychance?

Guess burn out's are not a wise choice then eh? Sounds like waste of good tyres and fuel...perhaps engine in this case

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would have been fine if i didnt have it in 2nd gear instead of drive. Rev the **** out of it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
pleaqse do not depend on the stock dash gauge. All they are telling you is the engine has made 7 lbs of pressure. Nothing more than that. Its just a pointer telling you nothing you can use. Please install a real gauge and then report back what you see. Many have come here asking the same as you. I too at one time felt the dash gauge was important. Till I installed a 270 degree sweep Isspro EV mechanical gauge. I then watched my dash gauge wave at me as I drove round town. My mechanical gauge was rock solid telling me real time pressures. Not some pointer telling me nothing. I still run both gauges and watch the Isspro. To answer the knock.. No way I can. Just because you were in second gear is not going to make the engine knock. The governor keeps the engine from over revving.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounded like a lifter hitting the piston then it stoped. Im going to pull the heads see if i see anything after i do a cut out test with injectors

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounded like a lifter hitting the piston then it stoped. Im going to pull the heads see if i see anything after i do a cut out test with injectors

If lifters touch pistons you have bigger issues. Sounds like you're beating on an engine that deserves better.

Oil film thickness isn't enough to let a piston hit the head/valve, even on a dry bearing.

Maybe you ought to take it easier on your less than 200 hp 20 year old diesel that is NOT rev happy. Take it from a guy that drag races different vehicles. Let us know how much abuse it takes to cook your transmission or trash your motor.

My best guess would be the nut behind the steering wheel.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Im sure it is over 200 hp with moose mister injectors pump turned ☝. I had an air leak i fixed ran like a beast then i pretty much broke it right after i fixed it. Had that knocking sound and then it stop. Strange. Does ide funny if i get a chance i will upload video if still doing it

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Im sure it is over 200 hp with moose mister injectors pump turned ☝. I had an air leak i fixed ran like a beast then i pretty much broke it right after i fixed it. Had that knocking sound and then it stop. Strange. Does ide funny if i get a chance i will upload video if still doing it

Turbo IDI's Moosed out barely break 200 hp per dyno results in the FAQs. Burnouts on a dually are even more stress on the powertrain...

How about summing up your symptoms?

Stock oil pressure gauge dropped to zero after high RPMs, odd tapping from engine, change in idle.

Now, what RPM does it idle at? Do all injectors cause the same RPM drop upon loosening their their tubes?

A collapsed lifter could cause odd noises and have an effect on idle speed. Oil pressure dropping to zero (if not a faulty sender/gauge) could be from starvation. Starvation could kill a lifter.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
600 rpm idle. Have done cut out test. I am leaning towards lifter but noise went away. I will check whe. I get off work tommrow and report back

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idle appears close to spec for a warm engine. Oil level? Low oil could be causing issues. It does take a few second for oil to gravity drain to the pan from the valvetrain area.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You could have been WOT in 2nd gear on the governor for all day and nothing bad should have happened. Thats why there is a governor.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant valve misspoke. My bad lol. That would be interesting to see happen

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
pleaqse do not depend on the stock dash gauge. All they are telling you is the engine has made 7 lbs of pressure. Nothing more than that. Its just a pointer telling you nothing you can use.

My stock dash gauge is more than a 7 psi switch, it reads low when psi is low and high when psi is high. Has been this way on every 80s Ford I've owned, and I've had a lot of them. At some later time they cheaped out. Would be nice to have a calibrated gauge to reference, but I'll take a unmarked gauge over an idiot light any day.