Greyish white smoke in the morning when first started ?

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could not a little air in the fuel system. Its not going to hurt anything. Mine truck does it every day on a cold start

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I had problems with a 6.9 that would get air in it and then when it sat for any period of time you would have to burn the starter up to get it going.

Thanks for the help.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
typically these are leaker injectors. Fuel droplets form on the tips during shutdown, and some fuel gets blown into your exhaust manifold unburned during startup. This fuel then evaporates as whitish smoke. It would be a good idea to start budgeting for a new set of BB's.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
typically these are leaker injectors. Fuel droplets form on the tips during shutdown, and some fuel gets blown into your exhaust manifold unburned during startup. This fuel then evaporates as whitish smoke. It would be a good idea to start budgeting for a new set of BB's.
I am stupid, what is BB ? its not bad just a few real small clouds in the morning.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Okay before everyone jumps on the injectors train, how quickly does it start up? Could just as easily be from cranking without igniting due to insufficient heat

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Okay before everyone jumps on the injectors train, how quickly does it start up? Could just as easily be from cranking without igniting due to insufficient heat

The truck fires right up in the morning but shakes a little when cold, this morning the cloud was strong and came out of the back of the hood a little as well as came through the dash in the cab. I think the newer cabs are for sure made more air tight. It may have sucked the smokey air into the AC from outside?

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moretorque - please do us a favor and put your truck details in your signature line so we will know what you have and then can see how it relates to what we own or work on. You should be able to go to the top of your page under "settings" then on the left margin you will see "signature settings" - you can go in there and put a few lines about your rig. Thanks

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How cold has it been? Mine will do this on cold mornings when it hasn't been plugged it (been in the high teens low 20's overnight). Fires right away and has new injectors/IP......though my high idle/timing advance isn't hooked up.

How many miles on your injectors/IP? What do you have the IP timing set at? To me it just sounds like it is just due to the insufficient heat when cold. It could be more pronounced due to retarded IP timing, leaky injectors or no cold timing advance. As far as coming out under the hood, are there any leaks in your exhaust system?

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
How cold has it been? Mine will do this on cold mornings when it hasn't been plugged it (been in the high teens low 20's overnight). Fires right away and has new injectors/IP......though my high idle/timing advance isn't hooked up.

How many miles on your injectors/IP? What do you have the IP timing set at? To me it just sounds like it is just due to the insufficient heat when cold. It could be more pronounced due to retarded IP timing, leaky injectors or no cold timing advance. As far as coming out under the hood, are there any leaks in your exhaust system?

White greyish smoke looks like it is leaking around the turbo area as far as under the hood. The truck is doing this in temps of 40 to 50 degrees. When it warms up it does not really smoke when you get on it driving around but when cold it does some for about 3 or 4 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online