White smoke when engine is cold

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, but our winters are pretty mild. My GPs are almost gone and I sometimes use a little ether to crank ol' LuLuBelle( , and I get the prettiest white / blue/black smoke this side of a mesquite fired BBQ! ).

If she runs good, then great. But if shes losing coolant: watch out, you may hydrolock at highway speed and cause a nasty a wreck. Just my 2 cents.
Just a little Bill Cosby in a can! :drunk:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New glow plugs helped a bit. My coolant system seems to work great after a new radiator. No coolant consumption. Leaks very little oil but does not burn it. Injectors are filthy. Need new ones. But the old ones still work, albeit probably not very well. I’ll probably order some from Russ one of these days

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New glow plugs helped a bit. My coolant system seems to work great after a new radiator. No coolant consumption. Leaks very little oil but does not burn it. Injectors are filthy. Need new ones. But the old ones still work, albeit probably not very well. I’ll probably order some from Russ one of these days
Warning, if your IP has been tweaked with the old injectors in it, the new injectors are going to change the timing and it may not run that great till you tweak the timing again.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan to replace the IP with the injectors. And also swap out the head bolts to studs, replace the head gaskets whether they need it or not, and put in heavier valve springs, 7.3 rockers and reseal the motor. Mostly because I want to get a pump from R&D, 3800 governor instead of 3300. Also gonna get the billet return rails. Injectors will come from Russ. I would get a pump from Russ, but the HPNA R&D pump intrigues me with it’s flatter fueling curve. And yet can still be tweaked to work properly with a turbo… I won’t do all this for a while, 3.5 grand in motor work. Not a minor project. I might never even do it. But I would like to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online