Gremlins are here, troubleshooting help please.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the oil pressure, when the relief valve sticks the excessive pressure can pump the lifters and hold the valves open.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm back to fixing the Logger. I drove it 1.9 miles to work and back home today to listen and try to come to some conclusions. I did notice that the ailment gets worse as the engine gets warm. I have not gotten a "real" oil pressure gauge and can only look at my Ford "idiot stick". It pretty much stays in the center of its sweep.:dunno I know I have to get a gauge to see what is really going on.

I did more research tonight than wrenching but come back to a question I already posted: "Are the lifters 180 deg sensitive?" The oil passage runs along the outside of the lifters so I am wondering if the hole in the side needs to face it to get its proper amount of oil. It doesn't make sense to face it the other way but maybe I am missing something. I posted a question on Mahle/Clevite's web site, hopefully they will follow through. I found instructions that warn against a 180 install that would place the wrong side on the cam lobe;ReallyLOL but nothing about the clocking of them within the lifter bore. Looks like the intake may be coming back off:puke:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should not matter as there are grooves to supply the oil to the lifter.IIRC

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm back to fixing the Logger. I drove it 1.9 miles to work and back home today to listen and try to come to some conclusions. I did notice that the ailment gets worse as the engine gets warm. I have not gotten a "real" oil pressure gauge and can only look at my Ford "idiot stick". It pretty much stays in the center of its sweep.:dunno I know I have to get a gauge to see what is really going on.

I did more research tonight than wrenching but come back to a question I already posted: "Are the lifters 180 deg sensitive?" The oil passage runs along the outside of the lifters so I am wondering if the hole in the side needs to face it to get its proper amount of oil. It doesn't make sense to face it the other way but maybe I am missing something. I posted a question on Mahle/Clevite's web site, hopefully they will follow through. I found instructions that warn against a 180 install that would place the wrong side on the cam lobe;ReallyLOL but nothing about the clocking of them within the lifter bore. Looks like the intake may be coming back off:puke:

I sure hope not, :angel: when I installed mine I didn't take the clocking of the lifter in the bore into consideration. engine runs fine and I was getting plenty of oil to the rockers

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I got back to business in the shop today. So, take a look at this pic and tell me where the problem lies. I can not believe that the pushrod went right through the rocker arm.:puke: I'm guessing the guide is a bit tight on that valve, not the rest of the valvetrain as I was worried about. Now the question lies, did I harm the lobe, lifter, or pushrod? Tell me what you guys think.:eek::bs I call bs from a reman engine-cuss

Attachments

• IMG00568-20110713-2200 (3).jpg
    IMG00568-20110713-2200 (3).jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 56

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I got back to business in the shop today. So, take a look at this pic and tell me where the problem lies. I can not believe that the pushrod went right through the rocker arm.:puke: I'm guessing the guide is a bit tight on that valve, not the rest of the valvetrain as I was worried about. Now the question lies, did I harm the lobe, lifter, or pushrod? Tell me what you guys think.:eek::bs I call bs from a reman engine-cuss

Goose, that usually happens when there is way too much valve lash. When the pushrod has a chance to pick up speed before it hits that sheetmetal rocker, it just punches right through. I have also seen a hydrolocked cylinder do that. The pressure can be so high in the cylinder, the valve refuses to move.

Do you have another good rocker and pushrod?

Also, those lifters can be put in wrong. But I think you said you did not realize your rockers were loose before running it, and that could have started to tear up that rocker.

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any reman engines I have seen all reuse the core rocker arms. It's standard practice. Even on engines where contact between moving parts has occurred (like pistons hitting valves), the weak link should be the push rod. Never seen one blow clear through a rocker arm like that.....

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
OK, I went back and re-read this thread. You said two rockers were loose. I would replace both those and the two pushrods. Your rocker that did not fail could be peened up. This might not be recognized by eye but all that noise was probably causing some deformity.

That's hot roddin'!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a real common occurence on these engines, check for coil bind, put an oil pressure gauge on it, a mechanical one. If you dont already have it, and they are 7.3 rockers. But who knows where they are made, Send it back to promar, dont tell them the cam change or they will bs an excuse. get some new rockers from them. Also was the oil cooler on the new engine? If it was, they most likely washed the header in a dishwasher and the relief rusted and it will spike the pressure, saw it happen on "on da roads" truck.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Not a real common occurence on these engines, check for coil bind, put an oil pressure gauge on it, a mechanical one. If you dont already have it, and they are 7.3 rockers. But who knows where they are made, Send it back to promar, dont tell them the cam change or they will bs an excuse. get some new rockers from them. Also was the oil cooler on the new engine? If it was, they most likely washed the header in a dishwasher and the relief rusted and it will spike the pressure, saw it happen on "on da roads" truck.

Hey, that makes a lot of sense. Too much oil pressure could pump up those lifters. Hopefully it was coil bind and not piston vs. valve.

This is why I do my own work, even when I can afford to pay someone else. I would be trippin' if I spent a couple grand on that motor.

I would repair the damage to the valvetrain and check that oil pressure relief. I would probably pull the oil cooler and inspect it.

Once you determine what is going on, if it is Promar's fault, I would be asking for a partial refund. But don't jump the gun, make sure you have it all figured out before making any demands.