Grandpas truck restoration progress update

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well after having such a long winter we're FAR behind schedule. But after a fine days work we finally got the floor pan, door sill, and cab corner support brace installed.
You must be registered for see images

I personally would have ground the welds down smooth and you'd never have been able to see the patches. But my brother said he didnt care to make it look show quality, he just wants grandpas truck back.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Cool man, so that was your bro in the pics doing all the dirty work as you were taking pictures and probably giving him crap about his welds :D?

I would have ground the welds as well, but that is just me.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Actually I did most of the welding. But yes thats my bro welding in the one pic there. Actually thats the first welding he'd done on it since the start of the project. lol
I'm too much of a perfectionist, and my brother just wants the functionality. So if thats what he wants then Im fine with that. I'm not cutting any shortcuts on the exterior body though.

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
hehe lookin good! allot better then big ol rust holes thats forsure.. a little bedliner or a rubber matt and youll never notice the difference!

Ray

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice;Sweet it sure feels good to get in a nice days work, keep it going

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of welder and feed wire are you using? I need to be able to do that! :D

sootman73

Reaction score
What kind of welder and feed wire are you using? I need to be able to do that! :D

good question! i need to remove my sunroof(leaking POS!) and weld in a piece to cover up the hole this summer. dont you tack weld in different places all the way around the joint until it is filled in? that way the sheet metal doesn't warp. then grind down the welds to make a smoother transition. just stuff i remember from watching the car shows on spike

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score

There are many different 120v MIG models on the market that will work well with sheetmetal. I bought a Lincoln 175? 240v model and use gas with it so I don't have to use flux coated wire and can do heavier welding than the 120v.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea the solid core wire with gas is much better for body work, it will weld thinner metal better and produces a cleaner weld than flux core. i have a 110 mig that works well but wish now i held out for a 220 unit to handle heavier stuff.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Thanks Jred on the solid core vs flux core terminology. I didn't even think about what I was writing. I called it flux coated! :D

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
ive done body panels with flux core wire, you just need to clean them up afterwords witha wire wheel or grind them smooth ifyour going for the finished look.. if you welding outside and there is any wind non-flux core with gas will not work as the gas will blow away.

Ray

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online