Got smoke? I sure do

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, I decided today as I let my truck warm up before I left for home from school, to angle my passenger side mirror down at the exhaust. It took it through town normal, not much black smoke. But once I left town and was in the boonies, I started driving my "normal" style. And man I tell you what, my truck will belch out some black smoke ;Sweet . It would get black smoke in any gear, with the throttle in the 3/4-WOT mark, and was more prevalent at higher rpm's (like 2500 and up). And it will give off crazy amounts of black smoke if I'm going along press in the clutch and rev it up to 3500 rpms, it was pretty thick smoke wise. I would guess that all of this is due to the fact that my air filter is pretty old/dirty, but there isnt really a point to getting a new one when I am going to install my turbo in the next couple of weeks.

And as far as I know, my trucks IP is set at the factory specs, so however says a stock N/A IDI doesnt smoke would be wrong. I just figured I would pass that along, I thought it was pretty cool (yes I know its unburnt fuel, but it looks awsome).

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my logic this summer too, I kept the old filter in until I got the turbo, and it didn't seem to hurt anything. Also, based on your location I wouldn't be surprised if you had gotten into some slightly higher elevations when you got out of town. That would cause a decrease in oxygen and increase in smoke.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That was my logic this summer too, I kept the old filter in until I got the turbo, and it didn't seem to hurt anything. Also, based on your location I wouldn't be surprised if you had gotten into some slightly higher elevations when you got out of town. That would cause a decrease in oxygen and increase in smoke.

I really didnt get up in elevation that much, I went from about 500' to about 2000' above sea level. It will smoke it town as well, but I tend not to do it as much. I never new my truck would put out black smoke, I would look in the rear view sometimes under WOT conditions and I would see a grayish smoke screen behind me, so I figured I was putting out gray smoke. But low and behold, its actually black ;Sweet .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think a lot of times these things smoke more than we realize. Even with the B100, I was able to lay a good smokescreen the last time I towed my boat right before I turbo'd the truck, it was laying out some serious diesel dust so I had to take my foot out of it a bit...it was the same sort of situation you had with a bit of a dirty air filter, and unbeknownst to me a worn out IP as well.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
and unbeknownst to me a worn out IP as well.

Yeah, I'm hoping my IP isnt going out on me. I dont think its all that old, my truck has 116K miles on it, and I know that the fuel system has been gone though once in its lifetime (IP, injectors, return lines and everthing else in-between). Doesnt matter, next summer it'll recieve a moose pump ;Sweet .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal...does your grandad remember when the system was gone through? I wouldn't think smoke under those conditions means anything bad...just take it easy till you get that turbo and pyrometer in...then that smoke, a lot of it will become power!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Good deal...does your grandad remember when the system was gone through? I wouldn't think smoke under those conditions means anything bad...just take it easy till you get that turbo and pyrometer in...then that smoke, a lot of it will become power!

Yeah, he thinks he had it done about 30k ago, so I should be good for awhile ;Sweet .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed you'll see some smoke then. ;Sweet

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Wow, i'm amazed it took you this long to angle the mirror down and see the smoke. I drove my buddy's truck and the first thing -I- did was angle the mirror down to see what it would do.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Wow, i'm amazed it took you this long to angle the mirror down and see the smoke. I drove my buddy's truck and the first thing -I- did was angle the mirror down to see what it would do.

Yeah, I dont know why I didnt angle it sooner. I just would look in the rear view at the gray cloud behind me ;Sweet .

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
When i was driving a diesel pickup in school, i liked to park it so the exhaust was facing the driver's door of people i didn't like. Then i'd sit in my truck at lunch and wait for them to climb in, and start cranking it before they could close their door or open their window.

They usually told me i was low on oil! LOL

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Well on my 88 when i crank it i see white, and when it fires i get a big puff of greyish black smoke. And if i get on it going down the road I get a greyish white smoke.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll smoke out bikers who take up like half the lane and dont get over when you get behind them ;Sweet .

Rubberfish, I'm envious LOL .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin