Got me a DANA 60

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I managed to locate a Late 80's Ford Kingpin Dana 60 missing the left hub brake adapter, spindle and rotor. It all came off in an accident :eek: I looked the whole knuckle area over for some sign of distress like new rust showing on a crack or any other signs of a bent housing and saw none.

The R side has a riser block for the steering arm and then cross the tie rod is modified for Heim joints.

The drag link is also modified for Heim joints but I dont get any steering parts just the diff for 200 bucks:rotflmao :eek:

I'll show the guy that the steering gear wont be any value unless you have a modified diff like the one I am buying ....:D :D so I may end up with them if not I'll just get me a few heim joints and some real nice DOM tubing to make new ones and viola Tres' kool steering!

No idea what gearset yet, though I suspect there just may be a locker in there....:eek: I sure hope so!

I'll post pics once I start to disassemble the current unit out of the truck it's in.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I am so happy....I Can't wait to get in and start to pull the thing ...woot!

Hope to score the steering linkage as well if I nag enough.

Saw these PORTAL boxes on a tractor and thought they would be nice to add to the knuckle of the axle? Hmmmm See they are already attached to a Dana axle of some sort....non steering axle though...so I wonder if one could just somehow mate em to the steering knuckle?

As for "Male Enhancement" well um...nope...dont need any...with the birfday yesterday and valentines today....Val and I are going out to the Pub and I is going to be singing at Karaoke and drinking a storm....then home (Dustin is at sitters for the nigt) :D:D for some late night Olympics!

Attachments

• 100_3029.jpg
    100_3029.jpg
    767.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_3032.jpg
    100_3032.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
very nice!! never seen tehm portals before!! i think somthing can be made to work!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
NICE SCORE!!!!!

i wonder what the oil line is feeding the bottom of the housing? on of the problems with portal axles that steer is it GREATLY increases the stress on the knuckle joints.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The portals are not the axle I scored....I just happened to see them and it was something that I really thought interesting because they are on a Dana axle of some sorts. Was wondering if those Portals....could be made to work by bolting them onto the outer knuckle.....I know I am insane.....uh ya ha! Nice gear reduction and WAY better axle clearance with say 46" tyres or larger!
Here are some pics of the axle I am gettin for a couple hundred.

Notice that L axle hangin outta that knuckle and the fact the spindle was sheared off. I looked all over the left side and could not see any indication that the housing was bent or damaged in any way. I'll check it when I pull it out and get it apart for a check of the R/P for ratio/carrier type, open, locker:hail , ls

Take note of the Heim joints for steering and such. and Not the Hi Steer arm on that Right side! I do not get any steering linkages...just that axle...that being said, I will clearly be utilizing some sort of heim joint steering as the tapered balljoint holes have been drilled out for what appears to be 3/4 bolts. Thus I'll do the same, which I wanted anyway.....:D

I hope:puke: the L side knuckle is ok...and all I need is a spindle, caliper mount, hub, rotor and lockout hub, may need an outer axle depending on how damaged the circlip ring on the outer end is for the lockout hub.

I'll as always photo document the removal and all work I do on this as I go....Damn freakin photo journal of the stupid Bronco is going to absurcookoo d when completed....*****:rotflmao

Stay tuned.........more to come

Attachments

• 100_3068.jpg
    100_3068.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_3072.jpg
    100_3072.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_3073 resized.jpg
    100_3073 resized.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_3074.jpg
    100_3074.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_3076.jpg
    100_3076.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 11

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
That's a different looking D60...I guess I'm used to the Ford version...LOL..I have a 4.10 and down carrier here if you needed one....I was just keeping it for a spare.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure it was broke off during a wreck? those two studs dont look broke, and its easy to break those studs during removel? id almost say they might have just sold those parts

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuart

That is a Ford Dana 60...LOL and we'll see what gear set is in it before I make any decisions on what I am going to do gearing wise. My D70 Rear has 3.73's and is open:puke:

Mudkicker From what I know...ya it got broke when it wrecked. I know the fellow whom sold me the parts as it is in his storage yard. He's a decent guy, that doesn't have any reason to lie. We made a deal on that D60 tentatively for 200 a couple weeks ago on a Monday, told him I was going to view it on Thurs of that week, and he was offered 800 for it the day after I set up the tentative deal. He held to the deal with me. ;Sweet

He now wants 800 for the rest of the front end, springs, hangers and steering.:eek: I highly doubt it's worth that seeing as one has to grind/cut that front hanger assembly off the truck.

Oh well, I hope to find a generator and I'll take my 4" grinder and cut the U bolts and unbolt the rest hopefully next week and while I am there I can get the NP 203 from him so I can clean and inspect it and store it for a doulber with my NP 205 sitting in my backyard.

If he doesn't sell the steering assembly, I'll check out what he wants after I price some good DOM .250 wall seamless tubing and some heim joints for myself. Guess I'll have to look into a dropped pitman arm too.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats kool thats what i was hoping to here but you never know until you ask, and i think its so funny that you found a d60 under a chevy to put in your ford. i know its a ford axle but i still think its funny, now better not tell any chevy guys that it came out of a chevy or they will tease you for life