Got factory turbo!!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know it's not that big of a deal but I have been looking for a turbo for some time now. I even thought I had one but the seller backed out. The rebuilt or fresh kits have been getting $1000 pretty regularly and that's not really a bad deal but I just didn't want to invest that much in one shot right now.

My patience has paid off. $250 + 65 shipping. Arrived today. It is not a complete kit as it's missing the crossover pipe, the downpipe and probably a whole lot of nuts and bolts will be needed to finish the install.

The turbo will be gone through prior to assembly. I believe the compressor wheel is in need of replacement as well as the bushings. Haven't seen the turbine yet so it could be a mess as well. It's not all oily inside like a seal went out but I can't be certain it hasn't been cleaned up. Hopefully it won't be too bad to fix properly. I felt it was worth the money even if the turbo needs a rebuild.

Now for some pics because I know that's what you really want.
You must be registered for see images attach

So there it is. If you know what's missing feel free to give me a heads up. I would appreciate any and all help I can get.

What do you think of the idea of modifying the NA crossover pipe to join up with the Y-pipe?

sassyrel

Reaction score
you be missing two cast pipes--manifold to turbo--the oil feed line--and a bunch of bolts and such---

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you be missing two cast pipes--manifold to turbo--the oil feed line--and a bunch of bolts and such---
they're there. someone has managed to seperate the two though. the short "Y" is in the pic as well as the top portion that's still bolted to the turbo.
what I don't see is the crossover, the downpipe, the CDR pipe and the oil feed line. The nut and bolt loss count isn't bad either. only two I don't see are the ones bolting the drainback pedestal to the manifold. great score though!;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That turbo has the 3" exhaust housing on it, that alone is worth what you gave for the whole kit!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think thats an ATS Turbo elbow. It looks bigger than mine.

Does it have a part number cast into it? That would be good if it was the ugraded elbow but that's pretty unlikely. I've got the v-band clamp for the downpipe. It seems it will be an easy job to connect the piping.

Now I just need to find an exhaust. I think Magnaflow has an OBS 4" stainless unit for aroung $459. I might look into that.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after going over the ATS parts breakdown for the turbo it seems I am only missing a few ATS sourced parts. They are;

O-ring for the turbo drain. It's there but I'm not going to reuse it.
O-ring to block off the CDR hole.
O-ring for the intake hat.
Grommet for the oil drain.
Restriction Gauge for Airbox.

I also don't have the ATS exhaust housing unfortunately but I can get by for now with the smaller one. I do have the V-band for the turbine housing to downpipe however. What is the correct size v-band flange to get. 2.5"?

I also don't have any of the oil feed lines. Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the Ford oil line connection? I am certain I can piece this together pretty simply I just want to make sure I am covering all my bases.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the ATS turbos take the oil feed from the sending unit. My Banks takes the oil feed off of the side of the block. I didn't get the lines with it, so I had my local hydraulic shop make up some hoses for me, I don't remember the sizes 100% for sure off hand, but, I believe Banks had used -4AN(interchanges with 1/4 JIC,) and I had the Banks turbo feed elbow, which I did use. I set my feed setup up like Banks would have, removed the sender from the block and plugged the port for it, ran a hose up from the side of the block(feed port is above the rear of the oil cooler per Banks) to a tee I welded a tab to and bolted to the intake(Banks shipped a pre-built setup like this), installed the sender in the tee, then ran another short line from the tee to the turbo feed. My feed lines are all plain old 1/4" hydraulic hose, not any fancy braided stuff, and the JIC fittings are interchangeable with the AN stuff(there is a very slight difference in the cut of the threads, but for all intents and purposes for our non-airborne adventures, they are interchangeable. Both are 37* flare) I think my whole turbo oil feed setup cost me about $60 or so, that's includes the hose, fittings and ends, with the hoses custom built to my lengths with permanent crimped on ends. Reattachable ends would be doable also, but, how often are you going to blow a hose rated for 3000 psi with 60 psi? LOL

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 82F100SWB. It was nice to read your solution to the oil lines. I tend to overcomplicate these things and try to get them "just right" but the reality is that I'm not building a show car and shouldn't treat it as such. That was what I needed to hear although I hadn't realized it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, mine draws its oil from way down at the back of the block. Mine uses a 33" hose with 1/4" fittings I believe, but Russ made it up for me so maybe he'll chime in and give you the low down on the oil feed line itself. Mine draws oil from way back on the block, basically its right above the slave cylinder that a 90* elbow goes in.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Best place to get oil to feed a turbo is straight after the filter. I have never looked on these engines, but I made it work on my Eclipse. Oil at the top of an engine is the dirtiest, crappiest to use, because its been through the whole engine.
When I install my turbo Im going to find a way to feed oil to the turbo straight after the filter, the turbo will live a much better life. Even if I have to engineer a sandwich plate with a tapped hole in it to put between the filter and the housing.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tapped my oil filter head on my BMW for the turbo on it. There is merit to your suggestion and I'll climb under the truck tomorrow to investigate.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To continue 82F100SWB post, the Banks oil feed elbow is a 1⁄8" NPT x – 4AN elbow fitting. This is the Banks manual (820 KB pdf) which shows the fittings in fig 8 and 18 and discussed in steps 13 and 19.

suv7734

Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics of the Banks supply line into the block

Attachments

• IMG_0556r.JPG
    IMG_0556r.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0558r.JPG
    IMG_0558r.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads