Got a Jr. Moose pump and pyro installed at the rally.... 1st trip report

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Like the title says, I got the above items installed at the rally.

Our trip home was 688 miles and I am impressed! Before the new pump, I would be lucky to get 170 miles out of my front tank. Yesterday, I went 311 miles on it! I don't have a meter on my in-bed fuel tank, so I don't have any way to get accurate numbers. Perhaps I will steal the one off of Kitty's truck.. :sly

I took a total of 160 gallons of fuel, when I left for the rally.. 688 miles down, 688 miles back and ~65 miles while there... A total of 1441 miles and I still have about 60-70 gallons left, in the in-bed tank..

If I have the 16 gallon tank (Midship) then I got about 19.44 MPG out of it, on our first leg of the journey...

I've never seen more than 10-12 out of that truck.. Till now.

Also, I got the pyro installed (Thanks for the help GRuss AKA Russ.. :hail) and it was interesting to see how my truck did, on the trip home.

Idle temp was at almost exactly 300..

Cruising at 65 was around 500 on flat and level road.

65 on small grades ~2% was between 600 and 650

I did manage to hit 900 a few times, on steeper hills.

Twice, I had hills that let me keep my foot to the floor for a while. The hottest temp I measured, was 1150 and it took a while to get it that high.

I have my thermocouple about 3" below the manifold flange, on the driver's side.

These numbers sound ok, or do I need to try getting it closer to the source?

Edit: I forgot to add, that when Mel timed it (After the new pump install) he found it at 6.5BTDC. It's now at 9.5.. Sounds a LOT different now! It's quieter than it was before and I now seem to always have power to spare... UNlike before!

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Those EGT's are good ;Sweet. Sounds like your old IP was worn/running retarted. Sounds like you its all up to spec now :Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're burning WMO in it, right? I would guess thats a good 10% above ULSD fuel, but still that kind of mileage is nothing to sneeze at.

Your test also is over a several fillup average, so the numbers are hard to argue with.

Your EGTs are right in line with what I am getting, though I can sometimes get as low as 500F @ 70 MPH if conditions are right.

Considering the fuel savings, I'd say the Moose pump should pay off in about a year or two.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
So you're burning WMO in it, right?

Yeah.... When Mel was timing it, he asked if I still planned to burn "Garbage" in it... I still had 110 gallons in the bed tank... What's a guy to do???? :dunno

I also have a few hundred gallons at home, waiting on thinning and filtering...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice, i think i might be looking at a pump when i get some money built back up. now i got new injectors from Russ to install.

hey, i gained 10hp on the dyno burning garbage:D

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have liked to have seen the difference in EGT's on your 2nd and 3rd Dyno run. I didn't even think about it yesterday when you were running it and then I got to wondering about it later, oh well.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I would have liked to have seen the difference in EGT's on your 2nd and 3rd Dyno run. I didn't even think about it yesterday when you were running it and then I got to wondering about it later, oh well.

I didn't dyno my truck... I was in Bonnie's truck... She didn't want to pull it up on the dyno, so I did it for her...

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't dyno my truck... I was in Bonnie's truck... She didn't want to pull it up on the dyno, so I did it for her...

Sorry I meant Jred's truck, I guess I should have quoted him when replying.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My moms truck runs at about 800* @70mph, and it doesn't take a whole lot to put it up into the 1100* slot. I still think there's something wrong with this one. :Sigh:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Sorry I meant Jred's truck, I guess I should have quoted him when replying.

if it runs hotter it is not by much, i was pulling the hills of WV on the way home and it was only a problem on the real long hills. running WMO probubly only puts my EGT's maybe 100-200 degrees higher max.

i forgot the watch my pyro too on the dyno, i was actaully watching the fuel pressure gage to make sure it didnt fall short at all.

cruising on flat ground i run about 600 but if i lug it and stomp it down i can beary it fast. i suspect it also has to do with the original injection pump and injectors at 185K.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it runs hotter it is not by much, i was pulling the hills of WV on the way home and it was only a problem on the real long hills. running WMO probubly only puts my EGT's maybe 100-200 degrees higher max.

i forgot the watch my pyro too on the dyno, i was actaully watching the fuel pressure gage to make sure it didnt fall short at all.

cruising on flat ground i run about 600 but if i lug it and stomp it down i can beary it fast. i suspect it also has to do with the original injection pump and injectors at 185K.

It would have been really nice if there had been a way that all the engine vitals (i.e. Fuel Pressure, Egt's, etc.) could have been included on the graph with Hp an TQ, but it would probably be almost impossible for the dyno operator to do quickly due to all the different engine variations and without everyone having a standard hookup for their dyno.