Good way to clean off oil from the block, so i can find the leak :-(

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
does anyone have any good ideas on how to clean the block off, i think my truck is leaking from the oilcooler, but when i peek under there its completely all covered in oil, i have no clue where the leak is originating, it is all on drivers side it appears, when i park somewheres you can definately tell its me that was there, it gets old adding quarts of oil every week. any tips or ideas is more than appreciated. thanks guys!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Use your favorite degreaser on a cold engine. Not hot.
Let it soak in and give it a good hosing down. Just try not to get alot of water up on the valley pan incase the CDR grommet is goin bad.

How's the valve cover gaskets?
I'd check there first.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
pressure washer can clean allot up quick, just keep it away from the intake and electronics. i know mechanics that add uv die to oil and use a light to locate leaks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Simple green works pretty good. Let it soak for a good long time, if it starts drying lightly spray with a mist of water to keep it moist, then when ready, spray it with high pressure nozzle on a garden hose. That will get all but the real caked on stuff off.

------------Robert

IDIeselman

Reaction score
+1 on the brake cleaner, Hose it down good and hit it with the blow hoagie on the end of of you air hose and she'll be clean as can be, I sometimes use lacquer thinner from a spray gun but I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you feel comfortable with the chance of spontaneous combustion:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Gunk Engine Bright. Has a nice smell to it that lingers after the wash job. Really though, you can't beat a good steam cleaning. Does anybody still do that? I remember when I was a kid, seemed like quite a few car washes offered that service. Now, I don't think you can find a place that has the equipment, and I don't even know what that equipment was or what it looked like.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Ours used to look something like this until someone left it outside with water in it. Ours was also stainless steel (by ours I mean the college auto/petro center) and had a copper line wrapped around a burner in the round red can area. Worked really well and was very expensive, as I said all stainless. I found out they sold it for scrap cause the copper coil ruptured!!! Made me sick.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Gunk Engine Bright. Has a nice smell to it that lingers after the wash job. Really though, you can't beat a good steam cleaning. Does anybody still do that? I remember when I was a kid, seemed like quite a few car washes offered that service. Now, I don't think you can find a place that has the equipment, and I don't even know what that equipment was or what it looked like.

Last time I took a car in for somebody else to wash I tried to get the engine cleaned and they wouldn't even touch it because of liability concerns

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Last time I took a car in for somebody else to wash I tried to get the engine cleaned and they wouldn't even touch it because of liability concerns

BINGO! that's the reason why... because a quick look under some hoods will reveal that the gunk is holding back the oil like the dutch boy with his finger in the ****... (can I say **** here?)

subway

Reaction score

yep had that happen to me at a garage i worked at, i dont even remember why but i had to wash down a engine and it quit and wouldent start.:confused: not good, the owner let the lady use his vehicle until we could dry it out and find out what was wrong. it started fine after a few hours of drying thankfully. luckily she was cool but i know allot of people who would be less than impressed if you shut there car down with a sprayerLOL

these old diesel hardly have anything to worry about like that though:D

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Napa leak detector dye. They make it for oil, coolant, and AC.

Throw on some UV light and it's like 70's from what I'm told.

You must be registered for see images attach

Adrianspeeder

subway

Reaction score
Napa leak detector dye. They make it for oil, coolant, and AC.

Throw on some UV light and it's like 70's from what I'm told.

You must be registered for see images attach

Adrianspeeder

especially with your coolent spewing trucksLOL ya ever get them all sealed up