Good tech info from the AERA

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great article. To bad he didnt go into detail on the pistons, just said look at the pictures.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The pics of the pistons are this... On the left is the 6.9 piston. the next piston is the non turbo 7.3 then the turbo 7.3 or even a non turbo piston with a hard anodised crown. you can buy them both ways today. The piston on the right is the psd piston with the holes in the top that acts like a combustion chamber. This is a reprint of what Franklin wrote up many years ago. The information about not running a turbo on a non turbo block is not correct. The big three turbo companys could not have been so sucessful with their sales if the non turbo blocks and engines couldn't handle a turbo stress. I'm still looking for a true turbo block so I can see and mearure this factional or fictional 100 thousands wider main bearing web... I'm just not buying this... Yet....:sly

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yea.. I got a cracked block too...:moon::rotflmao:sly Someday I will find a rebuildable turbo block so I can measure the main webs. I'm just not seeing the 100 thousands wider webs. These id engine all use the same main bearings. So where can this wider web be. It can't be a machined area and measureing a raw cast area will be no good either...:dunno:confused:

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant see it being 100 thousands wider because of the cost to have all the molds remade or machined to make that erea thicker. They may have done it if there was a widespread problem of these motors not holding up under the stress of a turbo. But then the turbo was only a factory option for a short while. And they probably were already desinging the PSD when they started adding turbos as a factory option

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... The above posting can't be... No possible way any company could nor would they create a turbo idi and in 6 months create a turbo power storke completely differant engine. Things were "in the house" long before we saw anything on the lots. I feel if Ford and international could have got the pollution under control we would have been driving the only engine on the market for the pickup market. I know this... If we ever have to pass any kind of "testing" I
m going to be turning down my fuel so low that my rig will be barley able to run to the testing shops. No computers... No hassles. Nobody knows what I do in my shop to my engines or pumps. Treehugger beware... Were watching you a lot closer than your watching us.... You will never outlaw diesel fuel... You may dry it up so much that it ruins our mechanical injection systems but any quart of atf is the fix for that.... Or donut oil too...:sly:angel:

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I can't believe he wrote this as a title!

Rebuilding the International 6.9/7.3L Powerstroke Engine

Even worst, no one seems to have noticed!

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
John, I noticed that after I posted it - funny thing is if you google the article it says IDI ...weird.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online