O/T - Trying to Save 1959 Cat D7 Dozer from the Scrapper - Anyone Familiar With These?

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to save a 1959 D7 from the scrapper but I'm not a heavy equipment mechanic so I could use some assistance with a few things. Details here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Please let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 59 D6. It was NA, yours is turbocharged it looks like. I didn't watch the whole video for time, but the hole in the floor should be the tranny fill. And as far as the winch goes it should be disconnected from the engine when the clutch is disengaged if I'm remembering correctly. The clutch is hand operated and it's the lever to your left. It looks like it's forward which is the disengaged position, so move it back and forward several times. My suspicion is that it's probably rusted stuck or what I think is more probable is that it's just moving with momentum. As far as cranking, my D6 needed a liberal application of ether, and make sure the fuel can flow easily from the tank, since it's gravity feed.

Hey @Rdnck84_03 , you might have insights, since you're an old CAT guy too. And @KansasIDI , I think you've been around old equipment. It's a long video, but see if y'all can come up with something.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to check out the video when I got some free time. Not sure how much help I will be but I will definitely share what I know.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Jesus Freak on everything he said.

I have a 62 d6b and I unfortunately do not have a winch so I am unsure of how it operates. I will say that since that tractor is a straight drive that when the main clutch is disengaged that nothing behind the flywheel should have power.

Also with that said the main clutch is a wet clutch so until the engine has been running for a few minutes to warm the oil up, the clutch doesn't like to fully disengage.

I believe that the hole in the floor is most likely the trans fill, mine is fairly close to that area. The 6b is between the steering clutch levers.

On the fuel situation, everything looks good all the way up to the rack movement. The throttle lever should move the rack through its entire cycle. With the throttle fully open the rack should fully open, after the engine starts the governor will pull the rack to governed speed.

I haven't actually had one of those pumps apart but from what I have seen from my parts book and repair manual is that there is a pin of some sort on the rack that rotates a sleeve on each plunger to meter the fuel allowed into the plunger.

My best bet is that the sleeves are stuck not allowing the rack to move.

My setup is a little different than that but the general operation appears to be the same. If you need them I can snap some pictures of my parts book to give you an idea of what you're working with.

James

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 59 D6. It was NA, yours is turbocharged it looks like. I didn't watch the whole video for time, but the hole in the floor should be the tranny fill. And as far as the winch goes it should be disconnected from the engine when the clutch is disengaged if I'm remembering correctly. The clutch is hand operated and it's the lever to your left. It looks like it's forward which is the disengaged position, so move it back and forward several times. My suspicion is that it's probably rusted stuck or what I think is more probable is that it's just moving with momentum. As far as cranking, my D6 needed a liberal application of ether, and make sure the fuel can flow easily from the tank, since it's gravity feed.

Hey @Rdnck84_03 , you might have insights, since you're an old CAT guy too. And @KansasIDI , I think you've been around old equipment. It's a long video, but see if y'all can come up with something.

59 D6? Is that a 9U? Pony start? Would love to have one; my great uncle had a few of those and was still running them 2 days before he died at age 90.

Yes, this one has a turbo; first year for it.

Roger on the trans fill. Ouch.

On the winch, one cable is busted, the other cable is frozen. I'll have to disconnect at the winch; looks like there's a cover that I can take off to do this.

Fuel can easily flow from the tank but having issues with the rack.

Thanks!

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Jesus Freak on everything he said.

I have a 62 d6b and I unfortunately do not have a winch so I am unsure of how it operates. I will say that since that tractor is a straight drive that when the main clutch is disengaged that nothing behind the flywheel should have power.

Also with that said the main clutch is a wet clutch so until the engine has been running for a few minutes to warm the oil up, the clutch doesn't like to fully disengage.

I believe that the hole in the floor is most likely the trans fill, mine is fairly close to that area. The 6b is between the steering clutch levers.

On the fuel situation, everything looks good all the way up to the rack movement. The throttle lever should move the rack through its entire cycle. With the throttle fully open the rack should fully open, after the engine starts the governor will pull the rack to governed speed.

I haven't actually had one of those pumps apart but from what I have seen from my parts book and repair manual is that there is a pin of some sort on the rack that rotates a sleeve on each plunger to meter the fuel allowed into the plunger.

My best bet is that the sleeves are stuck not allowing the rack to move.

My setup is a little different than that but the general operation appears to be the same. If you need them I can snap some pictures of my parts book to give you an idea of what you're working with.

James

Yep. Wet clutch. Need to figure out whether it's stuck or not. There's an inspection cover that I can remove to check.

I'm hearing that I might need oil pressure before the rack will operate. Plungers are probably stuck in the up position, too.

I joined acmoc.org; I think they have the manuals that I need.

Thanks!

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak

While I have operated cable stuff, I haven’t worked on it much, I’ve mostly been around hydraulic equipment.

This is a bit out of my league, older than I am used to. Have worked on CAT equipment from the 70s and 80s plenty, as well as 90s to new, which is mostly what my work has now.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
59 D6? Is that a 9U? Pony start? Would love to have one; my great uncle had a few of those and was still running them 2 days before he died at age 90.

Yes, this one has a turbo; first year for it.

Roger on the trans fill. Ouch.

On the winch, one cable is busted, the other cable is frozen. I'll have to disconnect at the winch; looks like there's a cover that I can take off to do this.

Fuel can easily flow from the tank but having issues with the rack.

Thanks!
It was originally a pony start, but converted electric.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online