Glow Plug Transplant

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fixin to replace my glow plugs with Motorcraft ZD9's I bought(3 sets, 5 bucks a piece) online, local Autozone out. Any tips or resources I should refer to since this is new territory for me, 94 turbo. How long should it take, and do I need any special tools? Appreciate all the help.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure that you read this first http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Glow plug removal article.html , it has a lot of helpfull info. You will need a 3/8" deepwell socket, a u-joint drive and some extentions. The hardest plug to remove is going to be the one under the turbo, but if you use the u-joint and about 10 to 12 inches of extentions you can reach it from under the turbo from the drivers side. And make sure that you put some never sieze on the threads of the plugs so they come out easier for next time.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just replaced a few on my 94 N/A and its not hard... kind of like replacing spark plugs... pull the wire, then socket down on the plug and your good... I would recomend using some compressed air around the plug before you pull them out... dont want any debris falling down inside the combustion chamber...

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
its alittle harder with a turbo on there at least the factory combo as it sits over 2 of them but it can be done I yanked the air box off to shed a little more light in there but I just used a 1/4" ratchet and the right length extension no swivels. The hardest part is if your hands are good sized it makes it hard to get the old plug out and the new one in so my wife changed the 2 under the turbo shes got tiny hands

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I just didn't know what I was looking for, and hadn't looked that close at the location of the glow plugs. I was under the impression the glow plugs were within the valve cover, must be a Powerstroke deal. Makes me like IDI even more. What's the opinion on changing out the relay prior to using the new glow plugs? I'm still concerned that the relay is not right because like before, it clicks repeatedly after starting, and the voltmeter bounces for several seconds after starting as if there is a pulsating load on the system. Could be the reason my glow plugs are shot to begin with. Thanks again.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your question about the glow plugs being shot/relay....I will say I have wired my glowplugs to a manual switch and it is wonderful. Hit thw switch for 7-9 seconds...hit the key and it is running. ( assuming it is getting fuel :( )

I have never nailed down my glow plug issue...I assume it to be a bad plug but at the time I didn't have time to track down the real problem so I installed the maual switch in the glow plug circuit and I went a nonstarting 7.3 to a truck that started like it was brand new. New plugs and new injector return lines are on the way currently.......

I assume the glow plug relay was bad in my truck or a plug causing the whole circuit to be *****..........i would turn the key and the relay would kick on for a split second and then cycle on and off FAST like a turn signal relay that doesn't work correctly....know what I mean?

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relay sounds like it's working ok. It is suposed to stay on for 6-10 seconds(depending on the temp) then click off then on, off on for I think about 15-20 seconds to cycle the plugs to clear up the smoke on a cold start faster. And yeah the powerstrokes have the plugs under the valve covers, so the idi is definitely easier to change plugs.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what plugs are in it now. It should be interesting to see what shape they're in when I pull em out. The fast cycling on and off is exactly what I'm seeing. I really think a manual(toggle) switch is probably the way I'll go to extend the life of my glow plugs. What would the reason be for cycling the plugs on a warmed up engine, or in the Summer? I just don't want a faulty relay to scorch my new plugs heading into winter.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still concerned that the relay is not right because like before, it clicks repeatedly after starting, and the voltmeter bounces for several seconds after starting as if there is a pulsating load on the system. Could be the reason my glow plugs are shot to begin with. Thanks again.
Sometimes my truck will do the same thing.. I hit the throttle, and it starts registering normal on the charge meter.