Glow plug relay question

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm sure that yours has been changed to the "7.3 style". The 6.9 controllers could be a HUGE pain. They were known for sticking on and burning out all of your glow plugs. Also, your glow plugs probably have bullet connectors on the tips where the wires hook on. The type that your truck came with had spade connector tips on them. If yours are bullet type, just buy glow plugs for a later model with a 7.3. That will save confusion.

It's possible it was an 87 6.9 engine swap too. My 87 F250 6.9 has the 7.3 style setup and bullet head glow plugs. I know it's stock because if you search for glow plugs for an 87 F250 6.9, you get bullet head ones. Searching for my 85 E350 gets spade ones. Ford switched to the newer system on the 87 6.9, probably since they had changed the assembly line for the upcoming 7.3, just a year early.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Don’t use ether if you don’t have to. Use wd-40 it won’t wash the oil from your cylinder walls.

Starting fluid has worked well for me, with a manual push button for the glow plugs set up so they couldn't fire. I only did it when absolutely necessary of course, a few times this past winter when it was being difficult in the mornings. I just took off the (NA) air lid and did 2-3 quick sprays down toward the intake, replaced the lid, and then cranked it over normally from the key.

Ghuds

Reaction score
It’s highly possible it’s not the original engine. Haven’t gotten far enough into looking into that.

Ghuds

Reaction score
Ok, I got the relay hooked up to a remote switch for the glow plugs. It works like it should. I’m getting 12v to the glow plugs when the switch is on, but I don’t think they are heating up. I pulled one out and they are Autolite plugs which I understand are crap. I assume they are all bad. They have the bullet connectors on them, so are they 7.3 plugs? The entire glow plug system seems to be from a 7.3. Can I use the correct Motorcraft plugs for the 7.3 or should I get 6.9 plugs? Are they the same? Thanks!