Glow plug controller issue.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replaced my GPC a couple days ago after it failed and I couldn't start my truck, wouldn't crank at all. Replaced it and it fired right up, went to start the truck today and it failed again. I got a full GP cycle time then hit the start and nothing not even crank. Going to convert to a manual setup, what could be going on here? Junk parts? Luckily it's under lifetime warranty. Before it lasted for 2 years lol. Any thoughts.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Are you sure your starter relay didn't go bad?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Not even cranking has nothing to do with the GPC, you have something else going on.
Do you have tilt steering? There's a piece in the column that likes to break so you can do key on, but can't crank it. Try jumping the start solenoid.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not even cranking has nothing to do with the GPC, you have something else going on.
Do you have tilt steering? There's a piece in the column that likes to break so you can do key on, but can't crank it. Try jumping the start solenoid.
I got a push button start, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
and don't forget there's 2 starter solenoids, one on the fender and one on the starter. If the fender one goes bad, no click with the key turned to crank, if the one on the starter goes bad, the fender one will click but it still won't crank.

I don't know how ZF5 handles it's neutral safety switch, but on the C6, if it goes bad, it acts totally dead when you try to crank it while in park if the NSS is bad. Have to put it in neutral. I'm guessing that odd lockout defect doesn't exist since N lets a C6 start?

As Nero said, the actuator rod can break in the column. It happened on my F250. It links the key to the starter switch on the column so if that breaks, it can't push on the starter switch.

Pic from the web showing how they break:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got a push button start, I don't know if that makes a difference.
It depends how it's wired up. If it's wired to the ignition switch on the column, that switch could be bad.

This being the ignition switch I mean. He has a gas truck but diesels have a similar one. He had cranking but no firing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If it's wired directly to the fender mounted starter solenoid, then I'd suspect the solenoid may be bad.

So, I'd make sure the fender starter solenoid is working first since that's easy enough, and if that's ruled out, check the NSS perhaps.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new GPC and a lifetime warranty starter relay. Gana put them in and see what happens. I replaced the starter, the starter solenoid and all the starter related wiring recently. Will see what happens.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yep that's the guy. That piece is not easy to replace, but doable.

Push button has no effect on the cranking circuit.
A zf still has the blue/red wire that runs down the frame to a pigtail if you had an auto for the neutral interlock. It just has a simple loop jumper at the end.

To check the column, at the fender mounted start solenoid, disconnect the wire and check for voltage when cranking. If you see battery voltage at the little wire while key is in cranking position, column is fine.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend saw a spark come from around the fender solenoid when I went to start.I replaced it with a one I had laying around to to check, still got no crank. I think I got a bad wire, I think it's the push button start wire the PO installed. Gana dig into that soon.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I repaired some wiring that looked sketchy at the solenoid, put a new solenoid on and when I went to put the battery cables back on I noticed this. Maybe my batteries are junk. I think I need new ones anyway that terminal don't look good. The heavy pitted burnt one is a positive terminal on the drivers side. The other pic of a terminal is on the passenger side negative terminal.

Attachments

• IMG_20220413_122825188.jpg
    IMG_20220413_122825188.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220413_122837214.jpg
    IMG_20220413_122837214.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 5

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
While that wiring looks clean and really good, did you put the fusable links back in? Looks almost like normal wire in the picture.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that wiring looks clean and really good, did you put the fusable links back in? Looks almost like normal wire in the picture.
everything is put back to original just cleaned up the wiring that needed It.