Getting ready to do ip and injectors

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know where your coming from dizdak,personally the only mechanical thing I've worked on before my truck was a 49cc brigs and stratton lawnmower engine, that was shop class in high school. The main reason I bought my truck was because all the ppl who have a idi love it bc it is all mechanical. and one of the simpler engine s to work on....and very reliable. One thing I've learned tho is with a old truck comes old fasteners that always seem to need some persuasion to be taken out.

anyway, it looks like and is a big job but with mels diy printout and unlimited free access to this site and all the knowledge guys have on here it makes the job seem way more doable.

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the more i read posts on these IP swaps the more i think i would rather pay someone to do mine when the time comes!!! they are expensive to begin with and it seems like there is high chances of screwing something up if not done very accurately...

Just remember that most people are only going to post something on here if it gets screwed up. As long as you are reasonably careful, you can't really damage anything. If you screw up, you can usually just try again.

Besides, the knowledge and experience you gain from doing these things yourself is worth way more than the cost of labor. Knowing how to fix your own truck is important!

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is very true.. i am not scared of mechanic work, i have to 350s tore down to bare block for rebuilds right now..i have a buddy who is a Ford tech as back up also, plus he has access to fords mechanics website so , even though i say i would rather pay someone to do it i will probably jump in and do it myself.. I will have to find Mels DIY print out you referred to..

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I see it is if your broke on the side of the road and you ve worked on whatever broke before you'll know how to fix it and it'll be a lot less stress full.

Its in the tech section for idis and I think someone posted it in this thread ill post link once I'm on my desktop, my phone isn't good with links

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean is your friend. Get some purple power or Gunk Engine Bright and scrub everything you can get at. Pressure wash it or go to the local coin op car wash for a high pressure wash down. Don't put a direct blast on the altenater. It looks like you have some good info here. Best of luck, its gonna feel like a new engine once you're finished.;Sweet

The engine should have a rather loud cackle like a psd when its cold with the high idle solenoid and advance activated. Once its warm it should be rather quiet and smooth. This is how I gauged it by ear. I got lucky and was spot on 8.5 deg.:sly

Where does the valley pan drain go to? Where does the water go to if you pressure wash the top of the motor?

Also if you are doing ip, inj, would it also be the best time do do a cam swap as well?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Staff online