Getting Ready for Winter

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
Ok, even though today was the hottest day this year here in Cleveland/Elyria, and my diesel is down waiting for the tranny to come back, I am gearing up to finally do work on the thing and get it ready to go for the winter. This winter I have partnered up with a guy and will be plowing snow for sure as long as it falls. Also being that I live in the country now I want to have that 4x4 security being a vol firefighter/ emt and all. So I going to start working on my IDI doing all the projects I have been planning since I bought it back in Feb.

Todo this i need help remember what all I need todo, and where to find the info todo. As some of you know I am ultra busy with paramedic school or I would spent time searching the forums like I did this past winter when I had time. That is when the story of my IDI came to the boards. I will give a quick history of my IDI and what projects i know I need to complete, I am looking for any suggestions for other projects and locations find info on completing the projects and finding parts.

p.s. I finally got the tranny out of it and being rebuilt, in the process i found the both rear u-joints were destroyed ( as in no needle bearings left)

Here is what I got: 1993 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4 with the IDI 7.3 it has about 132,*** miles on it. The previous owner never heard of cavitation or the special coolants and such so I am assuming that it has never had any of that. I have done all the tests, listing in the article on buying and IDI and everything appears to be tip-top. I am planning on plowing snow with it this winter and hauling and towing with it this coming spring and summer, other than that its gonna be my daily driver and I put about 200-400 miles a week.

Here is my list:
Flush and Clean cooling system
Install Block drains
Install coolant filter system
Reinstall E4od tranny
install auxillary tranny cooler
replace piecemeal tranny lines
replace all u-joints with brute force u-joints
go throught the transfer case replacing seals and bearings and fresh fluid
go through front and rear diffs replacing bearings and seals and fresh fluid
possibly upgrade suspension,
new brakes all the way around
(possibly try to fix anti-lock light problems)
new tires and recondition factory rims.
all new battery cables and batteries
install jumper cable kit
install headlight mods
install running light mods
fix burnt headlight switch harness
replace rear fuel tank (leaks)
install auxilary gauges (pyro,water temp,oil pressure, trans-temp, ??)
am i forgetting anything major ??
what else, remeber i am on a budget thats why i am starting early and I can't get too wild, i need a realiable truck for work and for geting work done

i know i could look a lot of this up and i will be as i have time but if you guys have links off the tops of your heads it will help me since i am so busy with school and such thanks guys

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are replacing the trans get a t/c, buy the best you can afford. The stock t/c is a pile of ..... . Put in your guages if you are going to do heavy duty (snow work).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty comprehensive list. You didn't mention much of what you have done since getting it, but with that milage a set of glow plugs, injectors and a pump would be about all that would be required to make it like new again. You might change out your lift pump or go electric, while your at it.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to flush out your transmission coolers and lines, and install a Magnefine filter in the return line from the last cooler TO the back of the transmission.

I also recommend that you NOT use those "Brute Force" U-joints. They are made without lube holes to make them somewhat "stronger". However you cannot grease them and they will wear out as soon as the factory fill of grease dries out. Regular greasable U-joints are plenty strong, and if you make your U-joints stronger, the next weakest items are your drive shafts and axle shafts. ASK ME HOW I KNOW. If you are replacing your front axle shaft U-joints, make sure you get some that are end-cap greasable.