Getting hard to start lately

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
basically entire fuel system is new, r and d pump, injectors, carter4070 reading 5 psi, return line kit from Russ Mathis. Anyway it’s been surging while driving but I have a clear filter with no air going through lift pump when reving motor. And now it’s basically not wanting to start very little to no white smoke now either. Ideas? 15xxx miles at most on fuel system now

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn’t start after my shift, it’s currently 25f out. Cranked it till batteries dead, junpstart showed me I no longer and using current with my glow plugs ( on manual controller) relay clicks but nothing happens. Maybe for some reason or another my motocraft plugs finally all died at same time? But still doesn’t explain my surging while driving happening. Changing glow plugs tomorrow morning before work hopefully to see, hopefully I can find motorcrafts in town

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
relay clicks but nothing happens

I would try swapping out the relay first. Much easier than doing plugs and I have seen them fail even though they still click.

Have you verified power is actually getting to the plugs? Honestly just because you have 12v doesn't mean there's not a amperage issue.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the original wiring plug over top the pass side valve cover/in front of the A/C box? That plug carries the power from the battery to the glowplug controller (among other things) and those two large yellow wires like to melt the plug right there.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried jumping the relay across the two large terminals with no luck, no sparks and no battery voltage drop, but I did verify 12v at the relays power input. All wiring is original in the glow plug system except the controller is disabled and I have a switch to activate the relay instead manually. Gonna rest and change our plugs here shortly

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you glow too long with a pusbutton it will give even zd9s a short life. I’m guilty of it too, need to change some plugs in the shop truck once I catch a break between projects

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new set of plugs today but haven’t installed yet will see tomorrow morning it’s gonna be about 19f tonight. Glow plugs and then bypass all the fuel lines and run only the front tank for now to make sure I’m not sucking air during higher fuel demands. Fuel filter is new and I have no drop in pressure at the filter head even at 2500 dry rev and holding for a few seconds. It just seems to act like air is being sucked up before lift pump but not visible in my clear pre filter. Timing advance isn’t on I have switch for that and it does it warm or cold. Currently driving my project bronco which isn’t fun! Hopefully I can resolve this soon

You must be registered for see images attach

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, your description makes me believe you have a glow plug related issue.

On a completely different tangent of logic: just wondering if you have ever dropped your tank(s) and cleaned out all the showerhead pieces? Randomly sucking up stuff on the sending unit end will make you chase your tail for many moons. Ask me how I know......

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Member on fsb?
Not yet, bronco is just a simple build I haven’t got the time yet, I have a super runner stage2 lift for it ready to install and probably just gonna do header back exhaust and it’s got a banks intake on it I don’t feel like disassembling the motor yet to make real gas power, my idi is the power truck lol heading out to change glow plugs now though will report back

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 glow plugs it started, passeneger side front is a autolite and of course it’s still not going anywhere, two under turbo anyone know the tool list for removing them with turbo installed? It’s been covered 100 times now but I’ve only done plugs 1 time in 6 years now and last time I was still n/a so life was simpler back then lol

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
two under turbo anyone know the tool list for removing them with turbo installed?
I've always used 1/4" drive tools: 3/8" deep socket, universal (swivel), ratchet, and various extensions. IIRC, that one won't come all the way out with these tools (may vary depending on turbo). I think I would use an extendable pocket magnet to pull the glow plug out of the socket, then I'd remove the tools, and finally use the magnet to fully remove the glow plug, I'd also use the magnet to install the glow plug back into the hole. Of course, I also got lucky and have never encountered a stuck glow plug in this location with the turbo on. If that happens, then you know what needs to happen.:cry:

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
W
4 glow plugs it started, passeneger side front is a autolite and of course it’s still not going anywhere, two under turbo anyone know the tool list for removing them with turbo installed? It’s been covered 100 times now but I’ve only done plugs 1 time in 6 years now and last time I was still n/a so life was simpler back then lol

Why is the right front one so hard to change?