gear oil?

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how much rear gear oil will my 12 bolt rear take? I got a new cover today and wanna know about how much oil the rear takes with the stock cover?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Approximate Lubricant Capacity (In-Vehicle Repair)(a) (b)
Vehicle F-250, F-350 Regular & Chassis CAB, F-250/350 H.D.

Axle 10.25-Inch Ring Gear

U.S. Pints 6.5(c) (d)

Imperial Pints 5.4

Liters 3.0

(a) - Ford design conventional axles use Rear Axle Lubricant XY-90-QL or -KL (ESP-M2C154-A) or equivalent.
(b) - Service refill capacities are determined by filling the axle with the specified lubricant to the bottom of the filler hole with the vehicle in running position.
(c) - Plus 8 oz. (U.S. measure) additive friction modifier, C8AZ-19B546-A (EST-M2C118-A) or equivalent for limited-slip applications.
(d) - Rear axle lube quantities must be replaced every 100,000 miles (160 000 km) or if the axle has been submerged in water. Otherwise, the lube should not be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected or repair required.
Note: 6.5 pints of lubricant is the fill specification when the axle is installed in the vehicle. If the axle is out of the vehicle, fill with 7.5 pints of specified lubricant.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is a post by cdnsarguy on TheDieselStop. He's a reliable source!

Thad

FWIW, Use synthetics. I did and I believe it helped me increase my mpg. Yes, they cost more but to have been worth it!!!!

If you tow, I would acquire differential that allows more fluid capacity.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yup, sounds about right to me. I would just go on the safe side and get a gallon container.

I just ordered Amsoil 75w-90 synthetic gear oil.....cost me around $35 a gallon, and got 2 gallons for the front and rear diffs. Talk to RLDSL about Amsoil if you want ;Sweet

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
You'll want to run 75-140 in the rear differential though, if its a 10.25 Sterling. 75-90 is right for the Dana 60.

Thad

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have a Dana 70 ;Sweet if you were reffering to me.

I'm going for fuel economy, the lighter oil will help. Also, worst case scenerio is that my rear end seizes or something and I pick up a used Sterling axle for $200 complete, cause they are everywhere around here.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you've filled the differential will oil, be sure to park the truck on an incline with one wheel higher than the pumkin. Then, turn the truck around and get the opposite wheel higher than the pumkin. You need to get lube down the axle tubes on both sides. That's the only lube those bearing see. Once you done this, recheck the fluid level and add a bit more if needed.

Heath

tractorman86

Reaction score
ah ha someone has seen wheel bearings burn up right after an oil change huh?:D i've only heard nevert seen. a forklift works very well for this

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually that shouldn't happen, unless you've pulled your axle shafts. The oil in the hub will stay there when you drain the pumpkin. The bigger mistake is to have pulled you axle shafts, and not refilled your pumpking and done what Heath mentions. If your changing lubricants and are concerned about mixing types, then you should intentionally drain your hubs also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online