Gear oil-death stench

rthomas

Reaction score
I use a 100 gal. tank in the bed of my psd for mixing wmo and fueling the sweepers, the other day I must have gotten a little gear oil mixed in with #2, Im guessing about 2-3 gal mixed with 60 gal of #2 with a total mix of about 12% after adding other regular wmo. IT FRIGGIN STINKS:puke::puke::puke: it makes burning brakes with bad axle seals seem like an air freshener! The psd is the worst offender (when it comes to stink it usually is) the Athey has a stack so its not too offensive and the Isuzu will burn the neighbors cat without sight or smell. Maybe someone else has learned this one but I thought I would pass it along, it does mix and burn ok just the smell..

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rthomas,
Does the Isuzu smell with high percentages of wmo.
You should post something like this in the IDI section and see if someone running wmo in a PSD has similar situation.
My IDI stinks running wmo little as well but not that bad, dont know enough about the PSD's to know why this might be happening.
Do you have access to something like waste syn. oil and run it, see if the odor is different?

rthomas

Reaction score
The Isuzu dosnt stink or smoke with the mixes that I run (about 10-20% depending on time of year and how much wmo I have) the PSD just smokes at an idle when the egt's are below 300* and I attribute this to a lower compression ratio than the IDI, and the Cummins in the big sweeper does does the same thing. Ive burned lots of used hydraulic oil, tranny fliud, synthetic wmo all with about the same stink and smoke factor all seem to add a little power, its just the gear oil that has that ungodly reek to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online