Gear Lube For Sterling LS

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I want to get the gear oil changed in the rearend before we go to Montana this coming Sunday and I was wondering what was recommended as far as a synthetic or blend that I can get locally or through NAPA since I can get a discount. Is Ford the only source for the friction modifier or are others available that work as well or better? I used Schaeffers syn-blend ATF in the ZF and transfer case. Do they have a gear lube that works well? What about Sta-Lube? Don't they make a synthetic as well? I plan on putting the same stuff in the front differential as well.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
I just switched to Mobil 1 syn.

Read a bunch of good reviews for it. I got the friction modifier at NAPA but I do not remember the brand now.

Tom

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
So Mobil 1 makes a gear lube? What viscosity? 85-90? Good to hear NAPA carries a friction modifier. I'll be giving my NAPA guy a call in the morning!

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
My diff takes the 75-140 syn from the factory. I know they make a 85-90 because I almost accidentally bought one by mistake.

The limited slip additive was not a NAPA brand. I can't remember what brand it was. I already threw away the containers. Sorry. I just made sure it was compatible with Syn oil.

Tom

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that most synthetic gear oils included a limited slip additive? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, or maybe that's just the special stuff (Redline, Royal Purple, etc)...

pafixitman

Reaction score
Gear oil

The Castrol I bought a couple weeks ago said it had it in there. Not that it matters since I'm not LS!

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
I thought that most synthetic gear oils included a limited slip additive? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, or maybe that's just the special stuff (Redline, Royal Purple, etc)...

Same with Amsoil gear lube. Local drive train shop said to run it without the additive when I installed the front axle. It seems to work okay, however, I have a less than a thousand pavement miles on the LS plus a few "up to your knees in mud" miles.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Well....as usual. You guys taught me something. I did some research and found out I did not need to add the friction modifier to the synthetic oil.

I called around and no one thinks it will harm anything. Does anyone have a conflicting opinion?

Thanks,

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online