Gauges: The Turbocator

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
No but I wish I had since I have two gauges instead of one. That would have been nice....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's too bad you're only going to realistically use 1/2 of the boost gauge though. with that in mind, that sweep is going to be awful small to squint at when you're bouncing down the road.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Yep, not going to do it anyway going to hold out for a 30psi one. I probably will not do the pyro and boost gauges until after the turbo is in. The waste gate is set to 8psi and since I'm not looking to set any land speed records I should be fine until I have some scratch to spend on the gauges.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
What about this one?

You must be registered for see images

Since hitting much over 10 psi without more serious engine modification is harmful to your head gaskets, this one would allow for a better use of the full sweep than a 30 psi "boost" gauge...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
IMHO, and its just my opinion. But I wont use ISSPRO, I know allot of guys here love them. But I cant get by them being made in the middle east for one thing, and secondly all their gauges use those stupid relay boxes that you have to mount under the dash. I like how most of the isspro gauges are color coded for caution and warning zones, but pretty much everything else I dont. I've pretty much gone Autometer all the way now. They have always treated me well, they dont have the stupid relay boxes, they are made in the USA, and I've never had one go bad on me.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Nice. I do think however I'll be going Stewart Warner or Auto Meter....

What about this one?

You must be registered for see images

Since hitting much over 10 psi without more serious engine modification is harmful to your head gaskets, this one would allow for a better use of the full sweep than a 30 psi "boost" gauge...

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I want to stick to mechanical as best I can, I think the pyros are not going to be available in mechanical from the looking I have done.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you're stuck on isspro, get them from this guy. Cheapest I've found them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=280099875856&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=280099843372&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

You'll have to email him now to get them but thats the cheapest you'll get them.
Oh, the pyro doesnt come with the thermocouple probe.

That guy doesn't seem to have any up for sale right now. Hopefully he's just on vacation. I've bought a few other gauges from him and they work great, can't beat the price. I was hoping to pickup an oil pressure gauge from the guy too. Just have to wait and see.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's too bad you're only going to realistically use 1/2 of the boost gauge though. with that in mind, that sweep is going to be awful small to squint at when you're bouncing down the road.
I concur with this...I had a gauge that was VERY similar to that one in my old Scout. I don't remember if mine was an Isspro or a different brand, but it was that same style...and, it was VERY difficult to read while driving. Also, I don't know if this gauge has a built-in backlight, but the one on my Scout didn't (and with no way to retrofit one in)...I had to use a flashlight or turn on the dome light every time I wanted to look at it at night. VERY obnoxious...

BTW, mechanical Isspro gauges don't use the "brain-box"...and, IIRC someone on here that Isspro's planning to switch suppliers so that they can eliminate the brain-boxes on future electrical gauges. And, lastly, no pyro in existence is a strictly mechanical gauge...the thermocouple actually generates a small electrical signal that the gauge reads. The Isspro EV brain-box merely amplifies the pyro's signal and tells the gauge what to read. Non-EV Isspro pyros "only" have the thermocouple leads going to the gauge, but it's still an electrical connection. :)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my Isspro stuff. I have a big truck Stewart Warner pyro, and a 15psi manifold pressure gauge from Isspro. Where in the middle east are they made?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i got the same stewart warner gage JD has and i really like it. its clear easy to read and looks good IMHO. just make sure like mentioned that is can be back lite not all of them are. also watch if it dousent come the pyro probe (70). i think i spent about 30 on the pyro and they want 80 for the wires. i just used my own wires with good crimps.

the other big thing with the 3" gage is i couldent find a gage pod any where to fit. ended up using a favor from a machinist friend to cut a 3" hole and bend up a sheet metal piece. i trimmed and painted it and i think it looks good but is extra work.

can see it here
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23202&highlight=gage

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across some interesting aviation gauges a while ago. Found an EGT gauge that was only 1.5" in diameter, but was 2.5" long. Would have fit nicely in the dash and was black with white digits so it looked close to OEM too. Only problem is often these gauges only start to read at 600 or 700 degrees. I use my gauge to monitor performance all the way down to 400 for fuel economy purposes. Mine reads as low as 100 and seems accurate by 200.

Something that I found very interesting at the time was that aircraft gauges that are marketed for whats called "experimental" or "home built" are a lot cheaper than the gauges that are FAA approved.

Now it gets VERY interesting. Many of these gauges are in fact the very same gauges that are being marketed by retailers like banks, DPS and the likes. Only the aircraft retailers sell for less. Look around, it pays to find the best deals. Since diesel pickups have become a fad in the last few years, gauges like this have become more expencive and we are being overcharged for them.....and we thought oil companies were greedy.

Don't remember if I saved any of the websites, but if anyone is interested, I can try and dig them up again.