Fuse+relay box?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I want to make up a harness to put relays on my headlights. I was trying to find a simple box/block that held either one fuse and relay or two fuses and relays to keep things tidy and not have random inline fuse holders flopping around and relays mounted all over. Now I'm considering an electric lift pump so a third relay and fuse required if I go that route.

Didn't have much luck finding single/dual relay+fuse boxes but I did come across the Bussman 15303 boxes. They can be ordered to hold either 3 mini or 5 micro relays + 10 fuses, or as a simple 20 fuse box. They have a rubber gasket to seal the cover, and weatherpack type connections on the back. The 15303-2-2-4 says it comes set up for 5 bussed micro relays and 10 bussed fuses. I believe that is bussed power for fuses and ground for relay. That should simplify wiring.

This is what I'm looking at: http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46343/Cooper-Bussmann-15303-2-2-4-Mini-Fuse-Panel-/

You must be registered for see images

Just found a thread on a jeep forum someone documented their install: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/hoozs-diy-spod-ish-project-1109890.html

Anyone have experience using one of these Bussman 15303 boxes? Seems like it'll do what I want with room for more down the road, and is fairly compact. Any other options to consider?

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about them, but they sure look clean and neat.

89 F-350 sc 2wd DRW 7.3 ATS 088, C-6 with Gear Vendor and a rats nest of wiring that was free with purchase.
00 Excursion limited, 6.8 4x4

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Go to a junkyard and pull the underhood fusebox from an OBS truck :D Standard automotive blade fuses, bosch type relay sockets, and provisions for maxifuses.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im going to the extreme.
im rewiring my entire truck with a eazy wiring kit. 160 for the complete kit.
21 circuit fuse box.
has relays for headlights and provisions for electric fans.
power windows, electric fuel pump, door locks, and just about everything i need!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save your self some money. Go to a JY, any of the vehicles from the 80's on up have under hood fuse and relay boxes. The smaller the car, the smaller the box. That way ya get all the fuses and relays in it. My daughters 2001 Pontiac Montana would be just about right for ya. The PSD's 94 and up have two set's of two relays under hood, no fuses.
I'm have a bunch of relays I pickup at the JY's, not stolen, just 25 to 50 cents each. Fuses $o.oo cents.

That's a nice write up in the Wrangle Forum.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Not interested in junkyard hunting for a random box that may be close to what I want. Then would come the fun of trying to figure out how to disassemble it, what connectors I need to get to put new wires into it, etc. I want a compact box to house a 3 or more fuses and relays, not rewire the whole truck through it. Preferably something I can buy new and is sealed.

I've heard about the two relay boxes on newer trucks and crown vics. Unfortunately I haven't seen any that hold fuses for those circuits as well. I hope to tuck whatever I use on rad support or fender near the battery and hopefully out of the way. Anyone have pics and dimensions of an OBS fuse box?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's why I suggest the OBS fusebox. I have one here that I pulled years ago and will be pulling the one off the Bronco as well. A couple of easy to reach bolts, unbolt the power feed wire, cut the rest with however much length you want. I'll eventually need one more. 1 for the Enterprise and 2 for Bruiser.

As for new ones, I also searched for an uninstalled alternative and found that Hella makes individual boxes for fuses and seperate ones for relays in banks of like 5 to 10 or more, but they aren't cheap for what they are. Found them on Summit Racing, but no longer have the link.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought those like you linked. Haven't used it yet. One thing to know is that they use a smaller form factor relay that you probably won't find at every Walmart. Buy a couple extras and toss them in the glove box. I'm still undecided if they are what I'm going to use for sure. I wish I could find the same configuration with Bosch style relays. Let me know if you do.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
im going to the extreme.
21 circuit fuse box.
power windows, electric fuel pump, door locks, and just about everything i need!
Where are you getting your harness from?
link?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I think this is the site?
http://www.ezwiring.com/store/viewcategory.php?groupid=0

Not a bad option if rewiring the whole thing, cheaper than Painless. Still doesn't include everything in one spot to run a few relays though. If doing the whole truck though it would be simple enough to get one of those 4 relay boxes and tuck that along the fender or firewall to run those handful of higher draw items.

I was looking for a box that took the standard/common Bosch style relays you can get anywhere, but I guess going micro is the price to pay for a small footprint. Not a deal breaker for me but if I go that route I do plan to buy an extra relay or two to keep handy. Can always jump it with some spare wire in a pinch.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im going to the extreme.
21 circuit fuse box.

Linky no existy posty no usey

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard about the two relay boxes on newer trucks and crown vics. Unfortunately I haven't seen any that hold fuses for those circuits as well. I hope to tuck whatever I use on rad support or fender near the battery and hopefully out of the way. Anyone have pics and dimensions of an OBS fuse box?
The OBS fuse box is pretty huge, it goes in place of the cruise vacuum canister in a 80-91 truck. The 2-relay CrownVic boxes do not have provisions for fuses, those are in the power distribution center - OEMs dislike spreading their electrical protection all over the place. Hella used to make ice-cube (Bosch-style) relays with built in fuse slots, those take the regular ATO/ATC fuses - those may do the trick, do keep in mind that I've only seen those relays in the 40-amp size though. The CrownVic 2-relay box takes one 40-amp and one 70-amp relay, bUT the OBS tow package 2-relay box does take two of the 40-amp relays, so that may be suitable choice...