Fuse/Relay box install for headlight relays

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I wanted to to upgrade my headlights with relays and an H4 conversion. Got some Cibie reflectors and Phillips bulbs but debated which way to go for relays. Ended up getting a Bussmann 15303-2-2-4 RTMR. I like how tiny it is yet fits 5 relays and 10 fuses, plenty of room to add more later. Almost done wiring that up, probably finish in the morning as I just need to run the wires to drivers side headlight,put the plug on that end, and put the rest back together. Biggest part of this was figuring out where to put in, and relocating everything else to be more compact and cleaning up 30 years of previous owners hackjobs. I chose to install on the passenger inner fender metal plate that much of the original wiring mounts to.

Originally looked like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

I had previously cleaned up the wiring a little after the 3g install and it looked like this:

I pulled the inner fender mounting plate, blasted, painted, and rearranged some things:

Almost done the wiring. Excuse the messy bench, too many projects are one time...

Hopefully I'll have finished pictures tomorrow.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! You're hired!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

blue rally

Reaction score
Loos good, were did you get the busman box at? I like the idea of watertight seals especially here on the coast of Oregon.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I got the box and most of the parts from Waytek Wire. They have minimum quantities on most things, like the connectors and seals. Not a big deal as you'll need a bunch and after using these types of connectors you'll be opting to use them for most future projects.

I got this wrapped up. Seems fairly tidy. Glow plug relay is getting pretty busy. I may run a 4ga or 6ga to the starter solenoid again to use that as primary distribution point, I got lazy and did 10ga after moving it to the fender as it was quick and easy to crimp and wasn't sure where everything would end up. No local stores have mini breakers so using fuses for now but will order a pair of self resetting breakers for the lights. I used 6ga to feed and ground the panel, 18ga for the trigger wires into the original headlight plug, and 14ga for everything else. Voltage drop was originally 1.3x volts, now .11 volts.

Wires passed between battery tray mount bracket and fender. 1/4" loom for the crossover to drivers side, ran in the factory clips for jack accessories.

Now to install these:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Headlights are in, and are extremely bright compared to the sealed beams, so far as I can tell from shining into the garage with lights off. If it's not raining after dark I'll aim these tonight. I believe what I'm looking for is a 4" drop from center of each headlight 25' back from a wall. I see how good headlights improperly aimed could be quite dangerous to oncoming drivers. I dipped my head too low looking at them from a distance and just about seared my retinas out. Definitely will err on the side of lower than necessary rather than too high.

Hopefully the results are as good as I'm expecting. I converted one of my bikes to a Cibie H4 7" round, same Phillips bulb, and relays. The difference between the original sealed beam and the upgraded setup was like night and day (see what I did there?). No idea how I rode all these years with what amounts to a candle for a headlight. The truck isn't as bad, having modern higher wattage halogen sealed beams, but I expect a significant improvement going to a H4 and relay system.

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a framing square used for a lot of things, but that is a first. :)

Looks great.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Did you buy the mounting brackets or bend them up?

blue rally

Reaction score
Thanks for the info about wytek, they have a lot of the stuff I have been looking for, but could not find it. The pictures look great and your doing a great job as well! keep up the great work as always great work is not just plug and play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726