furnace oil

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have found I 300 gall tank that I can use to store my wvo at a customer house, the furnace was oil and converted to gas so the tank has been taking space at the basement for the last 7-8 years. It is 3/4 full and she'll give it to Me but i don't know about the oil, can it still be good for use? need to add any additives or mixing?

Thank you.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm with DeepRoots... Dump some biocide in it and filter the heck out of it and enjoy... The old IDI will love it over the diesel they are selling at the pumps these days... You got a heck of a customer there to offer all that for free...

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Travis said, filter it and use it.
If you are worried, burn it at a 50/50 mix, the IDI actually loves the red stuff. It is not low sulfer like the pump.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have no idea if it is red or not, I know the tank is 3/4 full and that is what I want, if using that fuel will get Me a ticket then I just don't use it on my truck. Now... what about wvo I know one can pay road tax on that one if willing to.

Thank You for the warning guys. :hail

Squirreltow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it the oil was being used previously for a home heating system, then it will be red. Do not use it in your truck, if your truck goes on any paved road or you risk getting a ticket, if stopped for any reason and they decide to test.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'll have to ask my accountant how can I get a bill or something I can carry with Me. Even with the road tax I think wvo is worth it.

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
i understand that red diesel is not taxed and therefore not for on highway use....but under what circumstances would one have their fuel checked? my family has been running diesels for years here in california and never once have we been checked, even when towing class B trailer configurations cross state (oregon, neveda) lines... is it just not likely to happen in California? what am i missing?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I think is not a matter of getting cought, but to observe that law. I also have never had my tanks ckecked for red fuel but with my luck I rather not get a ticket. :rolleyes:

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
not what i was implying, please dont take offense. i was asking purely out of curiosity. i observe the laws, but i also like to know in which context they are applicable and practically enforced