Fuel tank sending unit

Mv7fd

Reaction score
I got a replacement tank for my 86 and I can't get the sending unit out of the old tank I've called all over and still can't find one do they not make them anymore

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't you get the old one out? You usually destroy the lock ring in the process, but the new tank should include a new lock ring.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything is so rusted I can't tell what is what
Yeah, mine were the same way. Hard to tell which bits are the tank and which bits are the lock ring. Just look at the new lock ring, and use that to find what bit on the old lock ring to pound on. I'll bet the old one will just bend inward and you'll be able to just pry it off. Then just a good yank on the pickup/return lines and the "hat" should come off the tank.

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Hopefully everything on the old one will be good. I'd rather put a new one in while it's all apart though

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I soaked mine in pb blaster for a bit. Take a thick flat head (thinner flat head will work like a chisel) and pound the locking tab back. There are little bits of metal that stick up. Those are the tabs. There are several so you can alternate if one starts to get messed up.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything is so rusted I can't tell what is what

oh man it sure does suck to have our gems flake away on us doesn't it? they (same brand as pickups listed; MTS) make poly tanks for our trucks too fyi.never deal with this issue (on the tank anyway lol) again.

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Well I got lucky and was able to get it out in one piece and put It in the new tank and it still works. I called all kinds of places today and they just laughed at me.