fuel tank painting or coating?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching, but to no avail. I gotta put a new rear tank in, it has decided that diesel is far too valuable to the earth to not return it without my knowledge. Long story short big diesel puddle suddenly. The entire rest of the truck is rustfree, but apparently the skid plate has held enough junk to kill the fuel tank over time.

So now the question is: What is everyone painting or coating their fuel tanks with to try and make them last a little longer? I put a tank in my ex father in laws f150 a few years ago, we painted that one with rustoleum, and that didn't seem to hold up well. Just don't want to be doing this again in a couple years.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I put a new rear tank in truck about 2 years ago I painted the the tank and the skid plates with POR-15. So far so good

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i used KBS, which i in the same league as POR-15. its been a couple years everythings great. though i dont drive it in the winter.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
i just went through the same ordeal, i bought a quart of Herculiner and a normal paint roller and put 4-5 coats on each tank and greased the hell out of the skid plates, that way no water lays there

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the POR 15. It is tough stuff, but not UV resistant. I know that it won't be subjected to the sunlight under the truck, but I have found that it looks better to top coat the POR 15 with one of POR 15's top coats. It is expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Archie