Fuel smell through heat vents

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting a really bad unspent fuel smell when the heat is blowing. It seems unnoticeable without the heat though. I haven't started digging for leaks but I have done a quick visual and didn't see anything obvious. Where should I start?
Thanks!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Leaking injector return caps
2. Leaking injector
3. Leaking return line
4. Leaking IP out the weep hole under the head. This means time for a new IP as you'll get hot-start issues if you don't already have them. It'll be all wet on the valley pan for this. Could also be an injector line nut for wet valley pan.
5. Leaking fuel filter seal, or more likely the fuel heater plug on the filter housing.
6. Cracked injector hard-line. This comes from a lack of vibration clamps on the lines. They are important!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air for your heat comes from the grille around the wiper arms. If that gives you any hints. If you do not find any leaks, most often a powerful smell comes from the fumes from inside the engine. If you have been messing around with the crankcase breathing, and have it going into a catch can, that can be stinky. Check your CDR valve behind the aircleaner if your truck is original, that is what it's job is, to direct those fumes back into the intake to be burned.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Leaking injector return caps
2. Leaking injector
3. Leaking return line
4. Leaking IP out the weep hole under the head. This means time for a new IP as you'll get hot-start issues if you don't already have them. It'll be all wet on the valley pan for this. Could also be an injector line nut for wet valley pan.
5. Leaking fuel filter seal, or more likely the fuel heater plug on the filter housing.
6. Cracked injector hard-line. This comes from a lack of vibration clamps on the lines. They are important!
Thanks for the list, I’m going to look into it this week.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air for your heat comes from the grille around the wiper arms. If that gives you any hints. If you do not find any leaks, most often a powerful smell comes from the fumes from inside the engine. If you have been messing around with the crankcase breathing, and have it going into a catch can, that can be stinky. Check your CDR valve behind the aircleaner if your truck is original, that is what its job is, to direct those fumes back into the intake to be burned.
Bone stock truck but maybe the CDR valve, thanks!

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay found it, it’s at the separator, the little brass drain nut. Appears to be dripping right from the center of that. The drain hose has been discontinued so it’s just the nut there. Isn’t there an o ring in that nut? I can’t quite remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony

Members online