fuel sening unit problems - fix, replace or forget about it?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my rear tank, the gauge shows 1/4 full when it is actually empty. I found this out when i pumped all the fuel out the tank using a 12v lift pump tapped into the fuel line as was suggested here.
the front tank seems to show all the way full no matter what, but i have not drivin enough off of it (since i have wvo in the rear tank that's mostly what i use) and i have not drained the front tank completely but i did pump at least 1/2 of it out and the gauge still read full. The previous owner said that when it shows 1/2 full it is empty, so it could be that it does work a little. I know that when the gauge stays on full all the time it means either the ground was lost or the sender is bad.
But, it does not seem that either of these tanks have that problem - at least i know the rear one does not. I can live without these gauges working properly - that is, as long as it does not run out of fuel on the freeway with no place to pull over....
Any advice on how to fix this? If it would be a spendy and time consuming project i would have to put in on hold for a while since i have enough of those right now - but i would at least like to figure out what does need to be done and then maybe look around for the best prices on the parts i need.
thanks,
paul