Fuel selector switch broken?

Colton Stevens

Reaction score
Well in some strange luck my tank seemed to switch today atleast going off my gauge went from half rear tank reading to full front tank and back and fourth a few times. I didn't change any fuse or anything. Only thing I can think of was when I unplugged the clip a few days ago to try and test with volt meter I blew out the dust in the clip. But after I did that it still wasn't working until today. Guess I should still plan on it failling again and hopefully it doesn't get stuck in the middle and cause fuel from 1 tank to over fill the other.

Will update on my next fill up to confirm both tanks working again.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW my FSV was acting up. I believe it was drawing from both and returning only to the front, but was switching senders for the fuel gauge appropriately. I replaced it with this. NewYall Fuel Tank Selector Valve... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B4L2MZZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
It was a direct replacement using the original electrical connector. Quality seems decent and price was very reasonable. Was a pretty easy job, but messy. I removed all 6 fuel line clips before removing any lines, and tried to quickly swap everything to the new valve. Fuel was spilled. I’m probably going to throw that shirt away. Also worth noting, I broke one of the clips trying to remove it and didn’t have any replacements on hand. I substituted a zip tie laced through the fitting and it held it every bit as secure as the original clip. I think it’s a decent substitute. I will probably pick up some replacement clips any way, but it seemed like something worth sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I had that happen one time. It was with one of the old glass tube fuses. The middle part wasn't burned out, but there wasn't any continuity between the two ends. A new fuse fixed the problem.

My RV's blower fan fuse repeatedly did that because one of the holder ends in the fuse block was corroded or whatever was wrong with it. It was like it was melting the end of the strip inside the fuse at the end since you could see something went on, but it wasn't obviously blown. I ended up just wiring in a blade fuse holder sticking out from the fuse block, with a slightly smaller fuse than called for, and it has yet to blow that fuse. I did that while I was replacing the wiper motor since the fuse block had to be taken loose for that job anyway.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the fuel line clips used on the fittings, I’m pretty sure Dorman 800-023 is the assortment pack that has the two sizes used on our lines. If that’s not correct,a search on the dorman site for fuel line clips will bring the correct ones up.

John Scott

Reaction score
I just replaced mine .... when I bought the truck in September they guy told me the rear tank was disconnected from the valve... he didn't say why so I investigated and drained the tank cleaned and replaced the fsv got off amazon.... works perfectly been running off both tanks for about 2 weeks now and no issues....

Welcome to oil burners forums its a great bunch on here been most helpful... like someone else said we r on our own with these time machines as there's less than a hand full who worked on these back in the day still doing so professionally.... lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online