Fuel pump

Exekiel69

Reaction score
In 20 years this only happened to me one time. I installed a new filter before a long trip and at my fourth fill-up I must have picked up some bad fuel, the filter was clogged...filter light came on when I put power to the engine. So I just backed off the throttle and finished the trip. Put on a new filter and all was good.

This happen to Me too but most My trips with this truck will allow Me to come back and fill up at the same pump since I have a big aux tank so I was thinking it could be something else but I'll have to remove the filter and see if a new one will fix this.

I see the filter is not always almost full, some times it is even half way full is this normal?

Thank You.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I see the filter is not always almost full, some times it is even half way full is this normal?.
Anytime I've removed my filter (for change out) it's always full to the very top, so much that fuel would spill out when I spun it off. I've never pulled the filter after the trucks been sitting for several days/weeks...so I can't say if some fuel would drain back into the tank, but if everything is air tight it shouldn't.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If the filter light is on, chance are the filter is clogged, but just to make sure, you did bleed the air out of everything through the shrader valve when you put the e-pump on just like when you put a new filter on because you get a second burping from the downstream air in the filter screen bowl. You want to get it as clear as possible, but as mentioned before, once it fires up, it will have a little head space above the fuel running through the bowl.

If your tank has a straight hose for a pickup tube in it, the extra suction may be sucking the thing flat.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
When I said the filter half full I meant the filter on the E-pump, the one on the engine bay is always full. Anyway, it was the fuel filter since after I replaced it with a new one everything was back to normal. I'm surprised since I replaced this filter just months ago, good thing now I have an extra filter :D

Thank You all.

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
I run a Carter 4600HP pump with mine and no reg required! I have used that pump on other rigs with great results. About $110 for them and well worth it.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I have to ask...is this in addition to your lift pump or does it replace it all together?

Chris

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to ask...is this in addition to your lift pump or does it replace it all together?

Chris

Replaces the lift pump. A big block Chevy fuel pump block off plate works like a charge to cover the void left by removing the mechanical pump.

Heath

Exekiel69

Reaction score
What Heat said. It nearly eliminates at least in My case the need to ever bleed the fuel system when You work on it, saves a lot of time and saves You from many other problems that arise when You use the mechanical pump. I consider it an upgrade.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Where do you guys mount them? I mean, I have seen some of them on the frame rail where the old school filters are under the drivers seat. Is that where most of you have them? And I see that some have higher pressures than the others. What is the optomized pressure we are looking for?

Chris

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.... About 7 lbs is as high as you want for pressure. Go to Ebay and enter Holley Red. There is 3 or 4 up for bids at around $25.00. Or you can pay $110.00 thru Summit for the same thing.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah, I have already been there and seen them. I was looking at the the other pump lised on this particular thread. Is there an upsided or downside to either?

Chris

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The one I bought is supossed to be a better one that draws fuel better from distance even higher whereas the HR is not so good at it but it can push the fuel just fine. I used one for over 4 years even with wvo and it worked fine, the only reason I used a different brand is bc I know carrier better, I know it is used for diesel applications (HR is used for racing cars mostly) and also bc they say it will outlast any other pump so I thought that is what I'm looking for.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Holley has been used by a lot of guys and I guess that's why it gets recommended more than others. I'm sure there are plenty of other good pumps available. My Holley Red will deliver 4-5 psi at the filter head all day long and there is no pulse either. These electric pumps are great, especially when changing/working on fuel component/parts.

Heath

watercat

Reaction score
twin turbo wmo pump

I think I have the fuel pump problem beat? I'm early in testing but its looking very well. tomorrow i'll get some gpm ratings at a few different rpm's. This is a steering pump off a honda or subaru i'm still checking into. It may be there the same pump. I have installed it right on the alternator bracket and the build actaully only took a a few hours. had to modify the oil pressure regulator in the steering pump but that was very quick and easy by simply removing the spring completly. like i said i will get some real numbers but the drive home was very promissing. As soon as this is done I'll be ready to install by custom twin turbo set up which i think i have all the pieces except a turbo timer. Oh yah i only run straight 100% WMO in this machine!!!

I'll try to get some running video posted on my web site of it tomorrow or this weekend.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG