Fuel Pump Woes

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to everyone that would rather live the mechanical fuel pump life.....
h3ll even the facet and carters....

i see you're a 35 GPH kinda person...

i want to extend my sincere condolences

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Those little motorized cheap pumps have pretty poor ratings. But that little square pump I bought just sits there and makes a clicking noise. They are pretty reliable in my experience.

If you want to pay more money, you can actually get one with a Facet sticker on it.

That's what I did. It's not quite the same model but it's the same style as the original pump so i made it work because it was way cheaper than the proper one from a one-off ebay listing. A Made in USA facet pump. Hasn't had problems since.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock ip in the 93, sub 50k truck sub 2 year old Fawcett, dash light working overtime!
What brian said! :sorry:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part, 35 GPH is just fine for me. Of course my name isn't synonymous with overkill. That may play a small part in that.
i took Mel's advice on how a mechanical pump was just fine for my bull moose and rebuilt factory turbo.
did some reading and asked my old hotrod self what he would do.

my 95 gph pump @ 7 psi did ALOT better than the factory lift pump. like my a$$ dyno really felt a difference.
i will never run anything less than that on these idi's, but of course i dont run without boost.
another reason for the increased flow is that the IP will only use so much fuel, whatever it was intended for.
running them with not enough fuel can cause longevity issues
running them with too much fuel,(flow, not pressure) will do nothing but cool them better, and dump the excess fuel out of the return side..
IMO cooling the IP as well as the injectors more efficiently

THAT SAID....
ive been binge watching engine masters on motortrend through my insomniac times.
they do have mechanical fuel pumps (BBC in this case) that are capable of 170 GPH.

this has been a project on my mind that i would like to do in my "spare time"

convert a chevy style high performance fuel pump with the IDI style arm.
theroetically, one can just swap the pinned arm, but anyone thats done an oddball project like this, knows its never that easy.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a Moose Jr. on my N/a 7.3 and right now the fuel is turned back 1/2 turn from where Mel had it set at. Now if I ever get off my backside and put a turbo on it, then I can turn it back up. Since the turbo that's going on it is a reworked first gen Banks, I still won't need more fuel than a mechanical pump will push out.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
My brain Dyno says 95gpm on a stock 88’ NA 7.3 with C6 is still slow.

Now my brain dyno says on a IDIiot twin turbo, mega moose pump, stacks out the hood, at 3,800rpm in a 60’s F100, potentially very helpful after 2,000 rpm.