Fuel Pump Woes

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out this BS. This is a Carter pump I installed new 2 years ago. Time to go with a 12v pump??

Attachments

• IMG_20211122_110546316.jpg
    IMG_20211122_110546316.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 29

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
If you do, research it. Rare you hear of issues other than perhaps early death with mechanical pumps. Get the wrong electric pump and you can have all sorts of issues.

If it was me I would replace with a mechanical pump again.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If it was me I would replace with a mechanical pump again." X 2

1993 F250 7.3 IDI 278,000 miles on the 2nd mechanical lift pump. With an electric pump there are more things to go wrong.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is it a fact that Airtex owns Carter, and the Carter pump is no better than the Precision brand at O'Reilly's? The pump on the truck now I purchased at my local O'Reilly's 2 years ago, and has a lifetime warranty. I'd pass up the warranty to purchase a superior quality pump.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Holley Red has been fine for my ATS 085 turbo RV aside from it needing a pressure regulator for some reason. Others report no regulator needed with Red. You might go with Holley Blue instead which comes with a regulator and has higher GPH than Red.

You can get repair kits for the Red/Blue/Black pumps for emergencies too:

They are the best choice of pumps for IDIs, I feel. Choice of GPH, heavy duty all-metal build, repairable for a fraction of the cost of replacement, etc.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you put the Holley at the tank selector, or further forward?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, order a Duralift.

Why^^^
Shoot you guys buy 2 units, install one and swap out the other to return for warranty this gives you the backup on the side of the road.
Cuz the fawcett aint never going away :dunno

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanical pump was doing the same thing. It was pumping fine, but after it cooled off the housing was leaking fuel. I went with this pump. Why?

-It will help some when you happen to run out of fuel or have a minor air leak in the fuel system. You can pump fuel without turning the engine over.

-I saw a pump like this on a f350 dump truck we had. Everything else broke on that truck, but that little pump always worked. And it was mounted up high on the pass side fender.

-I am lazy. I mounted one these little pumps right on the frame rail on the pass side behind the radiator. Very near the mechanical pump. I extended the fuel line over to the pump, and then hooked it up to the fuel filter above. Very little work besides running one wire to the hot wire that feeds the brake warning vacuum switch.

This swap was very uneventful for me. Works well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Did you put the Holley at the tank selector, or further forward?

My RV is 176" wheelbase so there is tons of room under there along the frame. I put it right after the FSV because the instructions say:

The pump MUST be located below and as close to the tank as possible. This is necessary to allow for an adequate fuel supply. The pump is designed to push fuel and not designed to pull fuel out of the tank. The pump should be mounted on the chassis, in a vertical position with the pump motor on top.

Source: https://documents.holley.com/199r7914-3rev6.pdf

My installation, using a pair of $4/each 5/16" hose barb fuel filters to protect the new FSV, per the warranty requirements. I crossed mountains this summer with this setup and it never seemed to starve for fuel.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why^^^
Shoot you guys buy 2 units, install one and swap out the other to return for warranty this gives you the backup on the side of the road.
Cuz the fawcett aint never going away :dunno
In 40 years I have NEVER had fuel leak out of the top mating surfaces of a mechanical fuel pump. I've worked on a lot of junk over this period of time. I've never been compelled to tote around a spare fuel pump. I've got 5 of these trucks, and none have them had a fuel pump fail in this way. None of them have ever had electric pumps added. I realize there's are a ridiculous number of threads on this topic. Just looking for a little concise guidance.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Holley red for life.
My setup is basically the same as @Cubey showed, but I mounted my water separator before the pump in place of the inline filters.

Rock

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Holley red for life.
My setup is basically the same as @Cubey showed, but I mounted my water separator before the pump in place of the inline filters.

Not a bad idea, although on a 176" WB van chassis, the water separator is about 8 feet away up next the rear end of the oil cooler. I don't want to run ~16 feet of extra 3/8" fuel hose for that. That's the factory location for it, you can see the factory water sensor harness there on the left. There is a pull handle on the floor of the cab for emptying the factory WS driven by a cable.

Last edited:

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Not a bad idea, although on a 176" WB van chassis, the water separator is about 8 feet away up next the rear end of the oil cooler. I don't want to run ~16 feet of extra 3/8" fuel hose for that. That's the factory location for it, you can see the factory water sensor harness and ground ring there on the left. There is a pull handle on the floor of the cab for emptying the factory WS driven by a cable.

I used an aftermarket golden rod water separator made for diesel transfer tanks. The replacement cartridges are only $5 which is really nice.

Rock

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online