fuel pressure gauge recomend for Ivan

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Hi:
Long time lurker. Ivan ,a friend of mine, has a 99 24v. The other day I mentioned the LP problem. He is interested in installing a fuel pressure gauge. Can you fellas recommend a specific one or a do it yourself install. Thanks for Ivan.

Ken

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I want to say that Geno's Garage used to sell kits for the Cummins but I don't know if they still do. now you can use any fuel pressure gauge just tap into the fuel line before the injection pump.

Tex56

Reaction score
the isspro kit is great from genos. there tech support is awsome. this is the first (mod) one has to do on a 24 valve.

Reaction score
I'm not Ivan, but took you guys advice and called Geno's Monday and got all the stuff for keeping a eye on FP and to my suspicion the %$#@ LP has :puke: i can bump the switch and get 11 psi but a short ride around the block and 0 psi the whole way!!! tell me I'm right. cookoo 30,000 on this LP.

Reaction score
Well this %^$#$ LP discussion has been talked to death so no wonder on no reply, but anyway another $%#@^ OEM pump today and psi is 12 so i can drive it . Thanks to the Forum it saved me a IP !!;Sweet . I would also like to say if there are any of the" Dodge bean counters "that accidental read this: IF YOU HAD ANY:mad: BALLS :mad: YOU WOULD RECALL THESES TRUCKS AND PUT A GOOD FUEL SYSTEM ON THEM !! rant off ! I will be upgrading to some other FS soon .

WTBurke

Reaction score
Hewitt Industries of L.A. in Huntington Beach makes a beautiful mechanical fuel gage with great sensitivity and a modest price. I had no luck with their tube style isolator and found Vulcan stocked the fluorocarbon composition diaphragm style isolator. This set up has been flawless and extreamly accurate.

William

BTowler

Short bus driver
Reaction score
For the money, if you don't have your other gauges either, go with the Juice W/Attitude monitor from Edge. You get all your gauges, 5 on the fly settings for power (up to 120hp), and a turbo timer plus a bunch of other cool features.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Update:
Just got off the phone with Ivan. I gave him an old 0-30psi gauge I got in a basket at an auction sale years ago. He said it screwed right in the fitting he brazed on the banjo fitting. Yikes! Anyhow, now when he turns on the ignition the pump runs but no psi. Hmmmmm, don't know what to tell him. Air maybe, suggested he bleed an injector to see. Cold and snow for tomorrow so his little fingies will be at work outside because it quit in the driveway.

BTowler

Short bus driver
Reaction score
You are correct, bleed the system, if after that he still has no pressure I would check to see if there is flow at the fitting. If so, then it is a bad lift pump or pressure gauge (I'd put money on the lift pump). If it is a pump, don't waste money on another Carter, go with a FASS, Air Dog, RASP, my personal favorite the Glacier Diesel GFS-392, or Glacier's new belt driven pump (similar to the RASP).

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Just got off the phone with Ivan. I gave him an old 0-30psi gauge I got in a basket at an auction sale years ago. He said it screwed right in the fitting he brazed on the banjo fitting. Yikes! Anyhow, now when he turns on the ignition the pump runs but no psi. Hmmmmm, don't know what to tell him. Air maybe, suggested he bleed an injector to see. Cold and snow for tomorrow so his little fingies will be at work outside because it quit in the driveway.

Well a under the hood pressure gauge isn't going to help much... It will show if the pump is running or not at idle. But he'll never know what his WOT pressure will be... :rolleyes:

As for no pressure... It could be a failed rotor in the lift pump (stock) its made out of nylon and it can get stripped out and the pump motor will run but pump nothing... Common failure...

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
It's Alive!

Update:
A tip of the hat to all who helped my old friend Ivan with his Dodge. Got a call from him this evening and he got it running around 6pm.

It was the lift pump. It was not pumping a thing. He replaced it with a stock one and got 14psi on the guage I gave him- at idle. Happy camper now. Now, of course, he is wondering how long the thing was not pumping and where he is for injector pump life. Said it was a hard, tight place to work to replace it. From what I read here I suggested he shouldn't forget how he did it cause chances are he'll be in there again.

Ken