Fuel leak at fuel filter

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plugged mine the same way also, liberal amounts of sealer were needed to get it to seal it does not seat on many threads and won't seal easily. I wouldn't add the sealer with the head attached still. Take it off take apart and re seal the plug in there with j b weld and be carful not to leave any inside the housing that could become dislodged and go to the injection pump

Stock90IDI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had similar fuel leaks from the filter head a couple years back. I rebuilt the filter head with all the orings and that solved the leaks.

Leave the wire on the top unplugged....... it's for the useless heater in the filter head..... mine is unhooked, and is staying that way. Even the one on my 6.0 is disconnected.... Only thing that heater is good for is shorting out and blowing the fuse and if you have an E4OD put it in limp mode..... since the TECA and that heater are on the same fuse......

I did not know about the vulnerability of the fuel heater to short and cause limp mode for the E4OD trans. Guess I'll disconnect mine to prevent the potential future issue.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 5 speed, so it isn't an issue. The previous owner did the plug fix, I would rather just replace the o-ring

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My truck is a 5 speed, so it isn't an issue. The previous owner did the plug fix, I would rather just replace the o-ring

This forum is here to help owners understand what happens to our engines and trucks. Once you have both sides of the problem its your dicision to do what you want. I too still have my heater working but I realize someday my plan is to remove it and plug the hole. Stop and think about the placement of this heater.Its ON TOP of the fluid its supposed to warm up.... So how is that really going to work. Very few places have the heat on top of whats to be cooked or warmed up like a broiler or electric oven is. Originally to PROPERLY start our engines from cold to running is we are to turn on the ignition switch to the run position and leave it there for something like 7 minutes to "warm up the fuel"... Really never happens. Then once running how effective is this heater anyway??? We have a few "things" like this on our idi engines that really do nothing. That coolant nipple found on the front of the passenger side head... The one that sends heated coolant to the cabin heater.. Well that has a rubber orifice in it.. It restricts the flow to the heater core...Why you ask??? I have been trying to find out why for many years... Nobody can say why.... That tiny coolant sensor behind the thermostat housing that controls the cold advance and the fast idle when cold starting the engine. It has a brass and copper spade connector. So dose the wire plug too... Why??? Not really sure but thats a few of the funny things on our engines...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also pull the fuel heater and tap the hole for a 1/2 npt pipe plug. No drilling required. Just run the tap in the hole.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laserjock

It has already been done done by the PO. It leaks though and I'm going to take care of that

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ditch the wix last couple I installed tighten up before the seal contacts, the threads are not fully formed. I feel that wix's quality control is not as good as it once was.

I run a NAPA 3617. It eliminates the lower cover and has the spot for the WIF sensor. These are made by WIX and I've never had an issue with it sealing. What filter you runnin now?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laserjock

It has already been done done by the PO. It leaks though and I'm going to take care of that

If you use a thread sealing tape make sure it is rated for the fuel. The white teflon tape will leak because the fuel will eat it away.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t use Teflon tape. It can get loose and end up in the IP. A good fuel rated Teflon paste sealant is the way to go.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to use the black Permatex that says its maximum oil resistance? Is that sufficient?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Imo, it's not a thread sealer.
Lock tite has a good one. Red and white tube. Smells like garbage though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have used permatex ultra copper plus. Its gas and oil resistance plus heat resistant too. It has never leaked when I use it for the oil pan or intake manifold.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nostrokes

I'm not sure what filter is on there now. It is the same type filter you describe. It is white with grey lettering if I remember, I'm on the road right now. Here is a picture of the bottom. I took it to show the fuel leaking onto the valve cover, not the filter itself.
You must be registered for see images attach