Fuel leak at fuel filter

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure it does. If they come on when you turn the key to the on position, then they work...but polarity has to be right for them to come on

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well if they come on briefly with the key, then yes. Shouldn't be a problem, you didn't say that earlier though. You said your truck doesn't have a fuel filter light.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a fuel filter light. I replaced all the dash lights, so when I take off the filter head, I'll ground out that sensor on the top and turn on the key to see if a light comes on and stays on.

I have an '89 and the only light I have that I'm aware of pertaining to the filter is the water in fuel light. If you or someone else can tell me what light should come on when the filter needs to be changed, that would be great.
Anyone have a picture with the lights on both sides of the steering wheel?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a fuel filter light. I replaced all the dash lights, so when I take off the filter head, I'll ground out that sensor on the top and turn on the key to see if a light comes on and stays on.

Dale,

Here are a couple pictures from the dash of my 88, same dash as you 89

Here is the light on:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a picture to show better where it is, in relation to the other diesel specific lights:

I didn't get into the cab fast enough to see the bulb check (bad actuator, have to hook the negative cables up), but I took the plug off the sensor on the filter head and grounded it to force the light on.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've never seen that light on, even for a diagnostic at start up. I will definitely ground it out to make sure everything is working properly.

Here are the pictures I took earlier. The water in fuel was the only light I was aware of