Fuel leak at fuel filter

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would ditch the wix last couple I installed tighten up before the seal contacts, the threads are not fully formed. I feel that wix's quality control is not as good as it once was.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the source of your fuel leak is the fuel filter heater plug on TOP of the filter housing you can take the cheap and easy way out and simply cover the plug with a liberal amount of JB Weld. I had a leak at the filter heater plug and since it simply doesn't get cold where I live( I literally don't own even one pair of pants!) I figured I could sacrifice the heater. Two years later and still no leaks--the gray JB Weld even looks almost factory if you shape it a little.:D

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Hey guys, I'm trying to eliminate my fuel leaks and I have to admit I'm a complete newbie. I have a filter that looks like the one pictured only it's a Wix filter. I'm getting fuel running down the filter and I want to replace it but I have a wire at the bottom of the filter and don't know how to remove it. I'm bad about breaking things.

My question is, can someone explain how the wire comes of?

Is there another seal that the filter seals against that might need changed?

Any help much appreciated!

I am confused as always. He said he had a replacement filter like in the above picture. That is not a stock filter, and eliminates the bottom piece on the stock filter. I think he was asking if he could plug in the stock water sensor into the non-stock filter, I was not positive on that.

I had a leak around the fuel heater on my truck, causing air intrusion. I found this on you tube, tells you exactly how to fix it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Great informative video showing all the important items on the filter head. Thanks for sharing with others.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the filter. I believe the PO removed the fuel heater and plugged the hole.

I'm hoping the new filter fixes the leak but thinking it might not if the filter gets tight without the seal on the mating surface. Thside of the filter is wet, so I'm hoping the seal on the filter itself is the culprit

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.

There's 2 types of those filters available. 1 with provision for the water in fuel sensor and one without the provision.
Which one do you have?

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The installed filter has the water in fuel wire installed on somethin. I'm assuming it is on a removable sensor that has to be installed in the new filter.

The new filter has a plug. I'm assuming that the plug (bolt) is to be removed and the sensor placed in that location. The new filter came with a new o-ring to be installed on the sensor.

Does anyone have a part number for the fuel filter housing? I'm wondering if the housing has a crack in it somewhere.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new filter looks exactly like this one

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics of your filter and the top of the filter head. What I'm seeing it the previous owner did remove and plug the fuel heater but.. Its leaking. Use some brakeclean to clean off the top of the header and run the engine. your leak is towards the front of of the header plug. This is what I see in your pics. Where the header mounts to the bracket I see fuel collecting in the depressed areas.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
also see a hose clamp on one of the injector return line hoses. You may have had a issue with different sizes of return lines on the same engine. Its hard to tell but the return caps appear to have the hoses running thru the center of them so those require the small hose with the green clamps. ONLY the large hose returns use the red clamps. I see a red clamp on the filter air bleeder. You need to know your return system and NEVER mix and match hose size. Green clamps and centered return hoses on the caps is the smaller hose at 3/16. Red clamps with the offset return hoses on the caps is the lager hose at 1/4 inch. Every fitting on the return line system MUST be the same size. This is what your pics are showing me.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they mixed the return line sizes, but I'll check.

As far as the leak, are you saying that the plug itself is leaking? If so, what should I use to "seal" it? I'm assuming it's leaking past the threads. I should be able to remove the plug, put some type of sealant on the threads, and re-install?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To fix the heater plug leak just remove the plug. Clean it really well with brakclean. Make sure you clean the aluminum head threads too. Just drain out some diesel till its just below the head. Any quality rtv or permatex aviation cement in the white bottle and blue writing. Just coat the threads of the plug but do not allow the sealer to end up inside the filter head.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will repeat again what was said; Go buy a cheap store brand can of brake cleaner. That stuff works great for finding leaks. It looks like you have fuel puddling on top of the filter housing. Spray it with brake cleaner, and it should dry it up. You may have to daub it with paper towel, but when you are done it should be very dry on top. Then start the engine and run out and see where it starts getting moist with fuel. Brake cleaner is a great way to find oil leaks, fuel leaks, and it even helped me find a crack in a cylinder head.

DaleInTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall

All return line caps are the same. The PO used different clamps on the lines, but the caps are all the same style.

I appreciate the help with the leaking plug. I definitely found it to be leaking. I was planning on changing the fuel filter, so I decided to take the old filter off and seal the plug before putting the new filter on.

Because of the amount of fuel leaking from the filter housing, I decided to do a temporary fix to see if I had another leak. I don't, so after sealing the threads on the plug I should have no leaks.

I've also replaced some o-rings on the injectors and replaced some old return lines. All that is fixed now.

I'm hoping this will allow better starting, especially when it's cold. Thanks again for the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online